No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another p/w to ID - is this also a PY weight?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline MHJ02

• Members
Another p/w to ID - is this also a PY weight?
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
Something I never do - well until this time, is to buy blind without having photos available, so here's hoping I've got a PY weight.   Again the glass is tinted and the base is black and I'm wondering whether it may be an early PY weight, fingers crossed.   I can post more photos if required.   I've removed some sticky patches that were on the base but haven't cleaned it off yet.

Thank you
Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Another p/w to ID - is this also a PY weight?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »
Compare the canes in your weight to known Paul Ysart paperweights. A useful guide is Kevin Holts webpages (another plug Mr Holt!!). Although Paul's canes were re-used it's a good start.

Compare the design to known Paul Ysart paperweights. Again Pauls designs were copied.

Try to compare the colour of the glass, the finish on the base, the profile etc.

After handling a number of his paperweights you will recognise the differences between originals and copies...

At the end of the day, do you like the thing? - thats all that really matters!!!

And then pat yourself on the back for recognising a very real Paul Ysart gem.  :clap:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MHJ02

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:21:08 AM »
Thanks for your response.  I do have a few PY p/w (lucky girl that I am).   This one looks like a PY, but I haven't been able to identify the canes as yet.   I was hoping that friend Kevin would be able to confirm one way or another.

Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:09:26 AM »
I've been hiding away for a day or two - snorting and sneezing with catarrh (yecchhh!) - and have only had a few brief looks at the board without making responses.

It's certainly by Paul Ysart and all things considered, I would say it's a 1930s example of his "Heart" design. I have not yet seen any Caithness-period "Heart" weights by Paul, but he made a range in the 70s. The later ones have a much more precise look to the setting and usualy include the "H" or "PY" cane
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand