Author Topic: Glass wheelbarrows  (Read 1391 times)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Glass wheelbarrows
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »
Hello again,    Can anyone tell me the make of these pale amber wheelbarrows. I thought they were common items but I can't find any info. They are 5 inches long. Thanks Cheryl.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/cheryl1300/wheel001.jpg

Offline Lea

• Members
Re: Glass wheelbarrows
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 04:16:58 AM »
If it's the same one as H&J 3733, in 5,000 Open Salts, then all it has to say is 'Figural wheelbarrow salt, may be foreign, circa 1893, 4 1/2" long'.  Not really very informative, is it?  It's in the black and white photos section, so there's no colour indication. 

A blue version is shown in OSC (p. 262, plate 795) and is identified as being by Greener & Co., England, and is described as  '[w]heelbarrow . . . with gadroon pattern, c. 1893, 2" h x 4.75 w, rare, $90-125'.  A bit more detail to help one track it down, but unfortunately no mention again of the colours it was produced in.

Offline Bernard C

• Committee
  • Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
Cheryl β€”Jenny Thompson provides:
  • Greener & Co., Sunderland.   Wheelbarrow salt cellar / ornament, Rd. No. 218710 of 20 September 1893.   She also illustrates the registered design drawing and a photograph of a flint example.

Bernard C.  8)
Text and Images Copyright © 2004–14 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:47:15 AM »
Lea can you decode the references for us Europeans please. I know you North Americans love your book acronyms  ;D

Offline Lea

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
Whoops!  I'm usually writing on a salt board and there's only a handful of references to remember.  Mea culpa!

The bible is still, for all its errors and omissions, H&J, i.e. Heacock & Johnson's 5,000 Open Salts; however, there has been the addition recently of a most sumptuous volume by Jzyk & Robertson, which is called The Open Salt Compendium, i.e. OSC. 

It's the kind of book where you need to wear a bib while perusing, unless you want the pages to get all sticky and wet.  The photography is excellent, the items featured splendiferous, with a large component of art glass and European salts.  In fact, my main complaint would be that most of the salts are way beyond my budget! :)  But it's a book to dream with.  H&J (I promise I won't use abbreviations in other posts from now on.) still has the most complete cataloguing of all the commoner and cheaper salts, the ones that I might actually manage to collect.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »
Thank you  :)

Offline Bernard C

• Committee
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:58:33 AM »
Cheryl, Lea & Christine β€” Here's my list of antique English pressed "wheels":
  • Burtles Tate Motor Car
  • Davidson wheeled boat
  • Greener chariot
  • Greener wheelbarrow (2? sizes)
  • Heppel coal truck (2 sizes)
  • ??? small coal truck (I don't think that it is possible to be certain which of the two small coal trucks is the Heppel version, although both could be.)

Have I missed any?

Bernard C.  8)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »
Looks like this could be the start of yet another collection for me!!     ;D     cheryl

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »
Bernard, you have inspired me to add to the 'wheeled' photo gallery, albeit, these are American.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2545721621_eb7089c776_o.jpg

The maker is unknown on the big one.  The little one was made by Adams & Co., and is known in blue, clear, frosted clear, amber and canary/vaseline.  (I have the little ones in amber and vaseline).

measurements: 
Big wheelbarrow:
height 3 inches (9 cm)
width 5 5/8" (14.3 cm)
length (from front edge of wheel to back of handle): 9 1/2" (24.4 cm)

Adams little wheelbarrow:
height: 1 7/8"  (4.7 cm)
width: 2" (5 cm)
length (wheel to handle): 4" (10.2 cm)

wheels on both are pewter

The little one also came in a size comparable to the big one, but so far, has only been found in clear.

The last time I saw any of the little versions sold was at a Green Valley auction.  A blue and clear were sold as a pair and they went for (I think) about $250 US for the pair.  The blue version in that sale is the only one I have seen in that color.  I have seen 2 or 3 amber versions and maybe 5 or 6 clear versions.  They really are tough to find.

I only have heard of a total (among other collectors who have said they have one) of 3 vaseline glass versions on the little ones.  Mine is the only one that has surfaced on ebay (and that was 8 years ago) and it cost me $320. 

The large daisy and button wheelbarrow trades (in vaseline/canary) for $150-200.  Other colors a bit less. 

the style of the two feet, the pewter wheels, the undercarriage, etc, on both of them are strikingly similar.  IF the large one is ever found in a catalog, my guess it will also end up being made by Adams.  The one unusual feature about the daisy and button pattern is that the buttons have a daisy pattern on top of each button!

Dave Peterson
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Bernard C

• Committee
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
Quote from: mrvaselineglass
...   IF the large one is ever found in a catalog, my guess it will also end up being made by Adams.   ...

Dave β€” I see what you mean β€” same designer and mouldmaker.

... and wheels that go round is rather innovative, don't you think?   Is nothing sacred!   Whatever next β€” Andy Pandy and The Flowerpot Men without strings?   No, it could never happen.

Bernard C.  8)

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com