No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: alexandrite neodymium glass vase with gilt figure on horse  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: alexandrite neodymium glass vase with gilt figure on horse
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:53:15 PM »
Riedel is as unlikely as Moser for both the ashtray and the vase. The ashtray may be by one of the many French companies who used this colour palette (Portieux, Duralex, VMC) in the 50s and 60s. Portieux definitely used blue Uranium and Neodymium in their production scheme. Neodymium was (and is) used by dozens if not hundreds of companies as an inexpensive way of colouring glassware and give it an interesting twist.  And the largest ashtray producer, Andrieux, routinely ground all bottoms. So unless a specific model turns up in a catalogue, I advise all options to stay open.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »
moser had a patent on neodyium back then and It wasn't a cheap option from what I've read. it was liscenced to fostoria in the us and they were the first other than moser to do neodymium glass. From what I read very few companies made this early on.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »
The ashtray is actually the lid of a cigarette box. The lid is ground and polished top and bottom, and the box is ground and polished on the bottom. The grinding is actually the best bit quality wise. The glass has inclusions and a slight orange peel surface. Excuse hasty picture

As to who "invented" uranium glass, it appears to one of those debatable points. Some claim the Romans used it. it does appear that uranium glass appeared in the repertoires of several manufacturers in the 1830s though.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »
This seems to be an utterly confused discussion. There is no indication that the vase that started this discussion is, in fact, from the 1930s, or that the ash tray which turns out to be a cigarette box is from that age. The introduction of Uranium has been pretty well documented (Riedel, 1830 - but that is an entirely different discussion) and so has the introduction of Neodymium (Moser, 1928).  In both cases the technique spread to many other companies within months, not years, and any assumption on who produced or did not produce colours or variations thereof will have to remain just that. We have a starting date, so we know it cannot have been produced before that time. But that is all it proves.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »
It is confused now, my point was merely that the two ladies with their horses were remarkably similar, given the different mediums, and might have a country or place in common.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:45 AM »
In the US its reported that Steuben first used neodymium in 1928 followed by Morgantown January 1930, Heisey June 1930, Fostoria 1931 (no month given), Cambridge November 1931, Tiffin 1951 & Fenton in the 70's plus probably a few others in the US I've missed. I agree with Ivo....so many companies produced this color that you have to consider multiple (to say the least) possibilities & you may never be able to pin it down so just enjoy it for what it is.

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 06:30:47 AM »
as for my .02usd i would agree with a 1930s possibly 1940s dating outside the usa the comment about american prudishness notwithstanding   :o ....steuben would have produced something with this style motif but would have been of much higher quality - no offense intended of the glass....and i agree with whoever said that this does not have moser sensibilities....

i couln't begin to identify coo or maker but that wreath says english to me but it seems the best speculaton is continental.....

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »
Tony, this vase is top notch quality. it is high enough quality to be steuben imho, but isn't stylistically like steuben. I own a few steuben pieces of non aurene glass from this era and I'd go so far as to say this is actually higher quality glass than those pieces.

What about it strikes you as not high enough quality to be steuben?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand