No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: flower weight  (Read 4685 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
flower weight
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:49:48 PM »
just got this one off ebay, it measures 3.75" across and 1.5" high, the flower canes are sat on a pastle green ground, the set up of the canes and the looks are not very good but the base is top class not like a cheapo weight, very highly polished with a hollow ground pontil, there is a ridge around the side of the weight were the green ground meets the clear glass, i have no idea who made this good & ugly weight

click image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline EstlinClichy

• Members
looks like Murano flowers to me
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:36:17 AM »
The flowers look like they were made by someone in Murano, although I've never seen a base like that on a Murano paperweight. Usually, as you know, they're flat. Of course, this doesn't mean somebody isn't now doing bases like that. The flowers look chalky - like Murano.

I'm off to Italy and France and will be in Venice for a week. I'm going to turn paperweights over and look at the base, that's for sure.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
flower weight
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:23:10 AM »
Interesting that there is an apparently random use of two different styles in the blue flowers :shock:

The white flowers look a little bit like some Murano daisies I have seen, but that base ....  :?  And the profile  :?  :?  :shock:

Somehow I don't think Murano.  

I do like it very much, though.  Don't call it ugly!    :twisted:

Leni  :wink:
Leni

Offline RAY

• Members
flower weight
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:19:43 PM »
if you look at the bottom row the 4th from the left is a murano daisy cane nothing like the one in this weight, but there would be more of the same design,

Leni i dont mean it's really ugly but the cane's are not well set

forgot to say the base has a lot of age related ware

cilck image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Offline Leni

• Members
flower weight
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:28:27 AM »
Ray, your Murano daisy (same as in all my Murano examples) has seven petals, whereas the one in the mystery weight has eight!  

I reckon it's definitely not Murano!  

Would love to know who!   :shock:  :?  :shock:  :?  

As for the canes not being well set up, having now seen paperweight makers at work I would never criticise a cane set-up again!  :shock:  

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
flower weight
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 12:21:36 AM »
Hi folks,

I think the weight is a likely Murano (maybe 60s / 70s?).

I've been trying to locate an image of another weight with a similar base finish that would "prove" a Murano attribution. But I can't find it - maybe it's in in my old computer, which I use as an archive but rarely look at!

Anyway, the weight I am thinking of is a variation of the Murano Fish, often seen as an "aquarium" block but also as a single fish with green reeds set in a domed weight. The one in question was, in my view, rather odd because it had the fish at the top of the dome and lying on its side - as though it had died from boredom after swimming around in circles.

Leni's observation about the number of petals in the flower cane is well made, but I feel may be somewhat strict in terms of an attribution factor. (How's that for a polite way of putting it?)

As for the shape, I have seen a few other Murano pieces with a low dome. But this one looks to me to be lop-sided, which suggests it has been unevenly ground down. This could account for the off-centre appearance of the flower pattern when viewed from above.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
flower weight
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 06:43:15 AM »
like this one one Kev

mine has a polished flat base "no hollow ground" but not as highly polished as the flower weight
cheers Ray

Offline Leni

• Members
flower weight
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 08:42:39 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Leni's observation about the number of petals in the flower cane is well made, but I feel may be somewhat strict in terms of an attribution factor. (How's that for a polite way of putting it?)

:oops: Kevin, you're such a gentleman!  :roll:  :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
flower weight
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 03:13:43 PM »
Yes, Ray. very much like the fish weight you showed above.
KevinH

Offline Leni

• Members
flower weight
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 12:40:49 PM »
I've had a belated reply from Jackie Lindsay (Corner House Gallery www.muranopaperweights.co.uk) about this weight and her opinion is:
I agree with you I think - it does not immediately strike me as a Murano weight.  Always a bit difficult from one photo and without handling it - but those blue canes do not look "coggy" enough for Murano!
Kind regards
Jackie

No nearer to a firm ID though   :?

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand