No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vicke Lindstrand Kosta vase help with numbering\signature  (Read 16255 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Vicke Lindstrand Kosta vase help with numbering\signature
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:14:10 AM »
taylog1 I envy you. I've always wanted to get my hands on a copy of Swedish Glass Factories: Production Catalogues, 1915-1960, but have never found one that I could afford. I have a Bergh with the script Bergh not BH & its another problem child as it has Kosta L.R. #640 Bergh...the L.R. is a stumper & the only thing I've found is it was a 1934 design, but have wondered if it didn't carry over into the 50's because I was told his designs were carried for over 25 years of production...on & off. .

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:06 AM »
Add my voice of envy re Swedish Glass Factories, whose name Taylog so casually drops. There was one from Holland on Ebay this weekend that went for about 260 pounds. I'm still kicking myself for not going higher. (I think the seller had been offering it as a BIN for way more for quite a time.)  Is it worth that much, Gareth? If so, you'd think someone would do a cheap reprint. 

If the people who signed the Kosta and Orrefors pieces had only known how much attention we would give to every number, I'll bet they could have had some fun. We should run a contest for the most likely, least likely, and more creative but possible explanation for the "27." Or is that what we have been doing?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 07:08:15 AM »
Re. Swedish Glass factories I  bought one last week, new for about £125.  I couldn't believe my luck  :chky: Would you be interested in the name of the website.. it's here in Denmark.
best wishes, a40ty

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »
a40ty:

Yes! I'd buy it in a flash at that price. Could you send me the website either in a reply or through the email button? I have Danish friend here who could help should I need translation help.

Thank you!

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Just to add to the confusion we sold this mini Lindstrand vase recently....saw an identical one on ebay without the additional "/228" a week later...?

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
LH 1444/5/6 - here's the red version Red

Good price for the Swedish factories - £260 is too much (although one also went for same price on Tradera recently) - my guess is that they won't last long.

I give up on the numbering !  :rn:

Offline cjf

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
Hi all, just a quick note re. the numbering. I regretfully don't know what 27 stands for, but it cannot be the design year. In 1927 Vicke Lindstrand had not even started working with glass, he started working for Orrefors in 1928, and for Kosta in 1950.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 06:36:11 AM »
Hi:

The same green vase is pictured in the Mark Friedman book on Scandinavian glass, p. 83. He says it's signed Kosta LH 1444 alone (that is, no /27 after the 1444). There go the theories that /27 is for green or the volume the vase contains.

DF

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 01:10:15 PM »
I thought that volume might be a long shot and have had trouble finding a suitable measure.
Out of curiosity does anyone know how many ml in one cc? I thought of weighing the water contained by the vase to find the volume (1 litre of water weighs 1 kg) but my brain started to frazzle so I went for a hunt around Cardiff's charity shops instead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand