No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help Please - Monart? WMF Ikora? ???? - ID = Peter Holmes, Scotland  (Read 3225 times)

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
Hi Folks

I bought a nice looking vase last week-end. I'm hoping for some help with attribution. I've posted it here as I'm leaning towards Monart; though there are features which conflict with this. I've been in touch with Frank who was kind enough to respond with his thoughts, which I've combined with mine and shown on my website as a hidden/viewable listing. Any input on this would be appreciated. Nigel, Ivo, Anyone?

The vase; together with further detail can be seen here: http://www.trocadero.com/cotswoldantiques/items/881951/item881951.html

Thanks in advance

Trev

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: ID Help Please - Monart? WMF Ikora? ????
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »
Lokks like a 14 rib mould was used to get the dark stripes. If it were Ysart (Monart or Vasart) I would have expected 16 or 20 ribs.
KevinH

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
Kev that's a good start. If it were either of the above you'd expect a different botttom finish. If it were WMF Ikora you'd expect a more random pattern - nothing as controlled as this, and nothing as blue. The colour does not occur in the Burschel/Scheiffele book on WMF.  So no positive clue from me - just elimination.

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »
Thanks for that observation Kev. 16 ribs or stripes. Though not particularly apparent in my photo's; there is a reasonable amount of 'clear' between the stripes on the sides of the vase, more towards the base; and the base is quite clear with little colour. Also; there is a very slight iridescence to either side of the stripes; again more towards the lower part of the side walls. Not particularly noticeable when viewed from the outside in natural light, but seen when looking into the vase when held to strong natural light as a very light coppery blush. Sorry Frank; I didn't mention this! I'm thinking I put this in the right place ....... Ah!; just posting this and then a post from Ivo, thanks Ivo. Perhaps the iridescence is more significant in this case? Personally I think not WMF ..... I'm still thinking this is in the right place ........

Trev.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »
Well, well, well...I've just been introduced to the British and Irish part of the board through a phone call last evening   :huh:  :-[  :-[ I'm obviously not as inquisitive as I thought, I've been looking only under 'Glass'....Doh!!

Not WMF, not Monart, or Vasart.

Is there much wear on the base, it's not clear from the photo in the link?

Nigel

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
Hi Nigel

Glad you found me. Yes there is a good ring of basal wear. It's quite a heavy vase and the wear seems appropriate for a glass of this weight dating to first half 20th C. It's in my 'I'm going to the Glass Fair' box and I see that you are standing there; care to take a look on Sunday?

Trev.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »
Check with Peter Holmes http://scottish-borders-art-glass.ecrater.com/ not his current style

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Frank. Similarities noted - email sent. I'll let you know here.

Cheers

Trev

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:54:50 AM »
Yep, I'm there (on stand 53 in Hall 2) and of course would be interested in taking a peek at the vase.

Nigel

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »
Check with Peter Holmes http://scottish-borders-art-glass.ecrater.com/ not his current style

Well done Frank. Seems I was way off ...... sort of .... ::)

I've had an email reply from Peter:

"Hi Trever,

The vase is mine, it was made around 2002-2003.

Several were made, in fact still making them ocassionaly, the first pieces had a sticky label on the bottom where the pontil was.

Around the end of 2003 we started engraving Scottish Borders Art Glass on the bottom as well, to avoid any confusion between ours and Monart/Vasart.

I was trained by Paul Ysart Back in the 60's hence the simularity in some of our pieces."

It must have been the Ysart 'vibes' coming through in Peter's piece! Think I'd best stick to 18th C! ;D

Thanks for your help with this. Attribution made. Case closed.

Trev.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand