No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: US Glass' Rising Sun  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
US Glass' Rising Sun
« on: September 21, 2005, 08:08:36 AM »
Deleted on advice of a friend :)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
US Glass' Rising Sun
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 08:49:05 AM »
Cathy, its very possible your suggestion of a mould traveling with a glass worker. It is also possible that US Glass just sold off excess moulds. US Glass did a booming export business as shown in Heacock's book U.S. Glass from AtoZ. He has Export Catalogs shown in the back of the book and they are fascinating. As to Rising Sun in pink. tis a strange animal. The original colors are Clear, clear with green or rose stain. Clear with ruby stain. Any other color would be considered rare. This was taken from Reily and Jenks book "Early American Pattern Glass" The date for Rising Sun is 1908. Pink as a color really didn't come in until the 20s by which time this style was way out of fashion. Without having access to the company records it would be impossible to tell just what happened to the literally thousands of moulds that U.S. Glass had to own. IMHO I can see them selling off excess moulds, particularly of patterns that were no longer in fashion. It does make for a great discussion. Terry

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
US Glass' Rising Sun
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:47:44 PM »
A very complex area of research, Cathy. I've just spent the past couple of hours going through a whole host of Australian, European and American catalogues, archive etc. I don't think it has changed my thinking beyond what I came up with some years back!

In 2000, we published an article about the United States Glass patterns that had been copied or in some way, "appeared" elsewhere (with an emphasis, of course, on Carnival Glass). The "Rising Sun" pattern has (in my opinion) been reproduced (either using US Glass moulds or new moulds) in Argentina. Another example of an Argentinean repro is the US Glass Omnibus pattern.

The Crown Crystal piece you have just found, Cathy, is most interesting. In the colour that you have found it.....it really would add plenty of weight to it being a CC item. It's such a complex mould, with its three handles, that it surely has to have been the original US Glass one that somehow crossed the oceans to Australia. Only the one shape in that pattern is shown in the Crown Crystal catalogues, as far as my studies allow me to understand.

The Crown Crystal catalogues present a very complex situation for the researcher. There are undoubtedly items in there that are other manufacturer's items. Imperial's Starflower and Crucifix candlestick, for example. I can also see Walther, Brockwitz and Rindskopf pieces. Are they copies? Did Crown buy moulds? Or did Crown Crystal simply import some stock items and mix them in with their own glass output?

Probably all three.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand