No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pallme-Konig posy vases ??  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Pallme-Konig posy vases ??
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »
I'm only making a shrewd guess  -  happened to see some similar factory items with this random trailing of 'cheese cake' threads on page 103 of the Truitt's book on Bohemian glass.
details are: height 7.5cms   -  widest part is 7cms.   No pontil mark, just slightly dimpled bases, with polished and bevelled top edges.
£3. for the pair from one of last years boot sales.    Wud also appreciate some idication of age please.
thanks in advance.            Paul.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Pallme-Konig posy vases ??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »
Hi

texture is hard to see from photos but I'd say very unlikely to be Pallme Koenig nor even any other bohemian glass house from that period.

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »
If at all, then Harrach. The technique looks like Peloton in monochrome.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:29:08 AM »
thanks to both of you for replies.               10.55 eh!  I'm very impressed Ivo.       
You are both right, however, and I now have a more positive I.D. which is............top and bottom pics. from Page 167 of Gulliver.....and he does say "in the style of Pallme-Konig", but presumably English  -   around 1900 in date.             My apologies to those on the Continent for omission of the Umlaut - not quite sure where to find symbols on the screen when I'm typing in the 'reply' box.
Its a failing that, when you have shed loads of coloured plates to plough thu, you tend to go for the first one that looks about right.   I must be more careful with attributions.               Does anyone agree with me re Gulliver?
By the way Ivo, do your clocks go forward tonight?            Paul

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
They do, Paul, they do.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »
I have to disagree Paul. The trailing on the Gulliver example is a network of long threads, the trailing on yours looks like random short threads, as Ivo says Peloton. Harrach certainly did monochrome peloton.

Do a search for peloton on the board. One of our members (Marinka aka heartofglass) has a peloton collection, and her email is available if you want to contact her. I know she's busy doing other things at the moment so she doesn't pop in so often. In fact I think she has a Harrach vase just like yours with pink threads; it's not on a public forum, but I think you can see it here

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
obviously 'shrewd guesses' are not my  forte - shud be more careful before I open my mouth.      My thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and have now seen various shapes and sizes in different colours  -  from earlier posts on the board, as you suggested.   You are right of course that, like the board pics. my vases have the short broken type of filaments.     Of course, I had looked through the Truitt's book several times  -  and as you will know they make no mention or reference to Harrach Peloton at all.
Do you know if this was a deliberate omission??        Do you know for roughly how long Harrach continued to produce this type of glass?
I have enjoyed this piece of education, but in view of the, apparent, scarcity of this type of glass, will doubltess not see it again for years.
My thanks again for your help.                Paul.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Try Brian's site here:
Mod: Link removed as content changed to inappropriate site

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
thanks Ivo, although I had already reached that particular site via the suggestions that Christine had mentioned.     Peloton is indeed an unusual method of creating abstract design, externally on the glass.    From most of the examples I have now seen on the historic board posts here, it seems that a flint ground with white filaments is the less common type.    Most have colour somewhere.        As a final comment, I suppose that date wise we are looking at somewhere between 1880 and the end of the C19.
Like a previous commentator  -  my only knowledge of a 'peloton'  was in connection with the 'Le Tour', and the 'yellow jersey'        cheers           Paul.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
In fact I think she has a Harrach vase just like yours with pink threads; it's not on a public forum, but I think you can see it here

Forum link gives a Members Only notice, Christine. As it's a private group with membership by invitation only it's not much use to anyone unless they are a member.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand