No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ..roses grow on you..  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
..roses grow on you..
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
not chocolates but.........bought three of these yesterday, and promptly broke one on the way home  -  morale of the story is never put glasses one inside the other.
What I know about Chance you cud write on the back of a postage stamp  -  its just that these have gold rims, and look as tho they might be Chance.   Certainly the quality of the transfers appears to be good.    Actually, they are attractive, and since they are both different, there must have been a a number of varieties of rose transfers originally.                        Wud appreciate any suggestions please.           thanks             Paul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: ..roses grow on you..
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
Well they aren't Chance. In fact if they are transfers, they're very sophisticated ones for glasses that look to be 30-40 years old. They don't look like the standard stock ones. Are you sure they aren't hand painted?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »
thanks for reply Christine  -   The surface feel of the image certainly has a much more pronounced 'texture' and colour, when compared to a real Chance transfer, which is quite flat.     However, looking thru the glasss at the back of the image. the colours are flat and quite different to the front.   I will post a pic. of the back tomorrow.
I must admit that the quality of outline is extemely detailed, even down to the finest of the thorns.        I think you are correct on the dating.    cheers              Paul

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »
christine  -  not sure if this will work  -  but I have taken pics. of the broken glass - front and back.     Hope you can see clearly that the back of the image is a lot different to the front.         Doesn't have the same colours, or outline at all.            Certainly the wording below the rose is machine applied  -  far too accurate and uniform to have been hand applied.              Paul. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand