No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black Velvet Glass  (Read 1051 times)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Black Velvet Glass
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »
I wonder if anyone knows about a special glass for the drink "Black Velvet"- Champagne & Guinness?
the story goes that members of Brooks Club in St James- a Whig gentleman's Club founded in 1764 which moved to its present premises in 1778 at 60 St James' Street SW1,  gathered on the 15th December 1861, for their morning tipple of some pre-lunch champagne at the bar.
The barman and everyone was very glum, as teh death had just been announced of the death of Prince Albert the day before.
feeling guilty that they were drinking a celebratory drink like champagne, the barman suggested a new drink he called black velvet made by mixing Guinness with Champagne. It caught on and is drunk world wide today.
Brooks' commissioned some special glasses , a tall large goblet with a bubble in the stem for the drink.
I think these may have been made by Whitefriars as I was shown the last three dating from  the 1960's. engraved with "Brooks" and some caligraphical scrolls. I will see if I can post a photo if of furthe interest!
Incidentaly, Guinness and Champage is known as "Poor man's Black Velvet"!
Members included Charles Fox, Garrick, Sheridan, several prime Ministers , Sir Joshua Reynolds, etc and to this day, sadly ladies are only allowed entrance in the evening!
An interesting story was of Ian, the 13th Duke of Bedord,grandfather to the current one who, after a very fine lunch, fell asleep in his favourite chair near the fire, in the early Fifties
he had a vivid dream, and called the Club Secretary. "I dreamt ", he said, " I saw three ladies in the Club in this room before 6pm!"
"I am very sorry your Grace", explained the Secretary, " it was not a dream. We had a call from the Palace, her Majesty , the Queen Mother asked to see the room which she had been told was the finest Georgian Room in London. She came with her daughter, Her Majesty the Queen, and a visiting female Monarch from Holland. I could hardly refuse a royal request!!"
"Well just make sure it does not happen again. I mean to say ........what is the Club coming to!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand