No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a Question about glass????  (Read 718 times)

Offline caterer

• Members
a Question about glass????
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I have a glass item that has just "england" on the bottom.
does this marking relate to any maker or particuar era, I know it states the obvious but you do not see may items with this on it, do items with this hold any value, i did have a quick look on site but nothing has been helpful.
I have not attached a picture as this is just a question
Hazel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: a Question about glass????
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
Hi Hazel

We don't know if the item is pressed, etched or engraved with 'England' without an image.  Could you attach one please?  There's an easy way to do so direct from your computer under the 'Reply' box.  :)

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline caterer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
Hi
no probs will do that, pics not the best im afraid, if these are no good let me know and I will take some more in natural light.

Thank you

Hazel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
Pressed glass items like yours are not uncommon with England stamped into the mould. I don't think it points to any particular manufacturer, but it does rule out the numerous Czechoslovakian manufacturers (always helpful). There were legislative requirements in some countries (can't remember when and where) that required imports to be marked with the country of origin, a label being OK. This is probably an example. "England" doesn't confer any extra value. I would say your bowl is probably post-War, and I don't think it was made by Bagley

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand