No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could anyone help ID this fish? ID Castle MFG, Venetian  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Could anyone help ID this fish? ID Castle MFG, Venetian
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:37 PM »
Hi all, hope you're all well. It's been a while since I've been able to visit over here!

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this fish. I am assuming it is a Murano piece but I would prefer to know for sure.

It measures 6 1/2" both long and tall. Rich, deep, honey amber with controlled bubbles and aventurine.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Could anyone help ID this fish?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:51:25 AM »
I would say a pretty definite yes to Murano. The big lip style without front fins was used by Fratelli Toso, but I do not recognize this specific fish. The lips are larger than I am used to seeing for FToso. You may have some luck googling Fratelli Toso fish. If you can't find the specific design, I believe you would be safe calling it Murano.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
I checked on several Fratelli Toso fish of this form, but could not find any with the same eyes or mouth. The FToso fish had smaller, thicker lips and murrines or clear beads for eyes. Without finding the design, it is probably just safest to say Murano for the fish. It is easy to see that it is a good fish.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
Thankyou Anita, I did some searching last night too after I saw your first message and have reached the same conclusion. Can't find enough evidence to support it being Fratelli Toso for sure.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »
I found a fish of this design on eBay. It has different decoration (green and copper), but it is the same fish otherwise. The fish I found had a Castle export label, so I think we can say your fish is probably Fratelli Toso. FT is the only Murano company I've seen that has the Castle label.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »
Well spotted Anita.   :)  Any chance of a link to that auction?  Just wondering if we can ask the seller for permission to use their photo here?  :hiclp:

I am not a man

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »
It is eBay no. 230345078384. I didn't include the link because it will disappear in a couple of weeks. I like the decoration of Catisfaction's fish a lot more.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
The seller kindly gave permission to use her photographs here:

This fish is 8" x 5" and the label reads 'Venetian Glass - Castle MFG'.
I am not a man

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Could anyone help ID this fish? ID Castle MFG, Venetian
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
Hi, Max. Thanks for posting the picture. The Castle label normally says "Venetian Glass, Castle Murano." Castle is a U.S. import company that handled Fratelli Toso glass, so Castle labels on Murano glass are generally taken to mean Fratelli Toso. The import labels can be confusing.

I noticed that the tails of the fish are different. It is easy to see when they are on the same page. I think it is just a difference in finishing touches, but thought I would point it out. I think the identification is correct.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand