No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut crystal jug / ewer with strap handle  (Read 1443 times)

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
Re: Cut crystal jug / ewer with strap handle
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
Hi Bernard

At first glance; yes, your jug does look 1st 1/2 19th C; but to me, it doesn't quite add up. As you have mentioned; the strap handle, even though it was generally superceded by the stronger dab handle in the 1860's continued to be produced, so can't be relied upon as a definitive dating feature. The way the handle is formed and the style and general 'feel' of the cutting doesn't quite ring true with me as early 19th C; and the item as a whole has the look of a later pruduced piece. Cut glass other than Irish Georgian isn't really a strong suite for me; but I feel your jug may well date to the 1920's/30's when a lot of 'Georgian revival' glass was produced.

Trev.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:03:47 PM »
I agree with Trev on this. It does not look like mid 19thc to me. Too clean and strap is too uniform. 1920's reproduction.
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »
i would also go with 20th C. ...the earlier suggestion about american doesn't ring true either - certainly not in the cut glass tradition...my first impression was eastern european latter half of 20th C. but would not defend that statement without handling or better pictures (although the photography was excellent).....how is that for conviction? :-\

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 01:25:54 AM »
Thanks Christine and Bernard for all your help  :kissy:  :chky:

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
Trev, Ming, & Tony — Grateful thanks for your time and interest.   So it looks as if I've bought a water jug for our dinner table!   That's OK, we needed one anyway.  ;D

Carolyn — Glad you found this discussion useful.

One point I failed to make above is that none of the patents / registrations cited by Hajdamach were actually for a dab handle — they were for other features.   It just shows that there can be valuable information found in patents and registrations incidental to the specific patent or registration itself.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand