No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: american iridescent vase? Or ... Kralik? ID = Kralik  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
american iridescent vase? Or ... Kralik? ID = Kralik
« on: April 05, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »
If I hadn't gone to the boot sale today, and known what I wud have missed, well............doesn't bear thinking about.      Whitefriars Duck and Swan, enamelled black (looking) vase under Andy's post, a Wedgwood porpoise/dolphin, small spatter type vase (diamond scratched 'Bristol')  -  and the iridescent vase shown here.
I'm tending toward American for this, but only because most of the European iridescent seems to be more coloourful, and the U.S.A. ones seem much paler and creamier.
Height is about 24 cms. and the surface texture is quite smooth.     The pontil mark has been professionally and well polished out, although the depression is a little off-centre.    thanks for looking, and any thoughts very much appreciated.           cheers           Paul S.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: american iridescent vase?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »
This vase and various shorter and textured versions seem to turn quite a lot in the UK. I'd have thought British or European rather than American simply because of the frequency with which I've seen them. I've owned a few over the years & often wondered about the maker. Manley attributes similar vases to Richardson (i think he calls it 'Opal Iridescent' Or similar). I don't have the book in front of me but as far as I remember he cites the presence of a clear casing layer over the opal core as distinguishing these from Czech vases. However, this information may have been surpassed now. 

Steven

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
More rotating  ;D

Is it a hyacinth vase? How big is it? Might be worth adding hyacinth to the title for Patricia

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »
Hi

this link http://sites.google.com/site/loetzandglass/kralik-4--opalescent--reticulated-vases

will take you too the Bohemian versions -can't really tell from your photo if its one of these or a different beast entirely

cheers

Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:14:23 PM »
Christine - Steven and Mike  -  thanks for your input.      thanks for rotating the pic. Christine, hope the crick in yur neck has now gone  -  sorry, I will try to remember to avoid sideways views if I can.    I shud have been a little more explicit in the first note  -  the top is in fact a 6 way crimp.    Don't know if you can get bulb vases with crimps, all the examples I have are circular tops, and are in the range of 6.5  -  7.5 cms.  -  whilst this one is about 8 cms., and the top part looks deeper than usual.
There is a good similarity in colour and texture with Manley's illustration on page 54 (No. 16) - and the make-up on my piece does seem cased.    Manley does indeed attribute this to Richardson and calls this finish 'pearl button glass' (iridescent over opal) and this does seem very apt, and if pushed I am tempted to go with Steven along this line (C. 1900).  The immediate impression is of an opaque glass.     
However, if you read Gulliver (extensive British designs), nowhere does he cite Richardson for iridescent  -  or illustrate Manley's opal over iridescent cased make-up and instead refers mostly to John Walsh Walsh as producing simply clear or coloured iridised glass. Probably more of a transluscent effect.
To confuse things further, one of the illustrations in Mike's attachment is the 'Lavender Basket' - a Kralik attribution  -   which obviously in 1981 Manley considered to be Richardson also (same page No. 17) - although colours not quite the same perhaps.
You have to understand that in the foregoing I am simply quoting other people's opinions  -  and I understand that subsequent to 1981 some of Manley's attributions have been revised.     This in no way lessens his book which is a joy to look thru, and is aguably the best monograph on British Victorian Decorative Glass.
Conclusion....................anyone got a couple of disprin!     but I think I will go with Steven and Manley.
thanks again for all your help.             cheers                  Paul

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
Can anyone confirm this is Kralik please?
I have a pair.  I can't find a definite source of id, but my first instinct was Kralik.  Mine has a neat pontil mark, ground smooth but not entirely polished the same as my other pieces of Kralik.  Very good quality.
Clear cased over opalescent glass, iridescent inside and out.
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »
I'd go with Kralik,similar to these Kralik pieces........

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »
My first thought was Kralik, too. I know I've seen vases like this before attributed to them, but I can't remember where, so can't check to see if I trust the attribution.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
Thanks Anita and Keith.  I feel sure they must be but likewise Anita, I now can't find a definitive source irritatingly.
I'll continue to look and post if I find something.
m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:03:29 AM »
Perhaps I missed this thread first time around? But ... In a thread from 2007, I added some comments about three "opal iridescent" items I have (a pair and a single). The image I gave is now included here as well:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pid=7183&fullsize=1

My vases seem to be much the same style and decorative effect as the one with which "m" started this thread. As I said in the other thread, my thinner, taller (16.5 cm) vases appear to be identical to the one illustrated in Manley, pages 54/5 (item 16) - as discussed earlier in this message.

My smaller (12 cm high) but wider (14 cm at the rim) vase is very much like one shown in another thread (started by "mattglass", in 2010). In that other thread, Keith added comments and a pic of some of his Kralik pieces, which includes one probably the same in shape and size - although Keith's is a textured example.

Also, in the more recent site (by GMB member, Craig + others), Bohemian Glass, there is a page showing several "Mother of Pearl" items. In that page, the 4th vase in the 1st row looks to be the same as my 'smaller wider' one - and it is untextured, too. To find the page, navigate into the site then click on "Alphabetical Decor Index" under "Kralik" and select "Mother of Pearl".

I think that these various plain and textured "mother of pearl" items queried in the GMB and shown in Craig's site are all by the same company. And if Craig & co are correct, then they are all Kralik, which is the first "proof" I have seen that Manley was, indeed, incorrect about pieces like these. :)
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand