No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Monart  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Czech Monart
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »
Now here is a nice piece of Czech free blown glass from circa 1950 or possibly pre-war. Please excuse but I could not resist livening the monochrome image (Not in copyright) with Monart colouring. For those Czech collectors who wonder what this Monart is, please see my Ysartglass site or Scotland's Glass linked in my signature to be educated.

The caption in the Glassexport booklet is WRONG, tears hair out as all the others are OK.... Plates acorned with applied glass ornaments, ULUV glassworks, designed by Milena Veliskova in 1951.  >:( And nothing fits that description.

Unlike Monart this first has a layer of controlled bubbles (created by using a dip mould with rows of spikes) that have been twisted and a further clear gather applied, also unlike Monart the uncontrolled bubbles have been controlled in a fashion. The more organic bubble layer has been created 'probably' in this case by marvering charcoal granules arranged in circles. Another clear gather is taken and this causes the charcoal to vaporise creating the bubbles. Final blowing and shaping caused the circles to become more elliptical.

This piece was not made in a hurry... but who did it?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Czech Monart
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:06:16 AM »
Forgot colour!

This piece could be one or two colours. It hasd 3 gathers it is possible that the first gather used a coloured glass or that it was marvered evenly with enamel (Finely ground coloured glass) if so the two coloured effect I have made would be the final look. On the second gather further enamels  (or the only enamel) would have been spread on the marver plate before arranging the charcoal, the vaporisation would cause the enamel to spread out to the edges of the bubbles.

There is no doubt that at least one colour was used.

Do you have one? These would be rare as it is time consuming to make such pieces!

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:17:38 AM »
The image won't open / download for larger viewing.  Could you re-attach it so it opens?  Also, more images would be good too, especially a good one of the base, and a close-up of the color / surface / texture would certainly help.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
It's a scan from a catalogue/magazine, so there is little information available

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
Aha, yes, my apologies, I didn't read closely enough, thank you for the clarification.  Scanning instead of readin isn't a good idea, I guess.  I feel a little silly.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:54:58 PM »
Hi Frank,
I cannot really help much but I admire this piece. Also, I agree with you about some Monart similarities in the techniques used at this time. I mentioned to Jindrich some Monart pieces Nigel Benson had for sale at the National Glass Fair in Solihull this year, specifically regarding the stylistic similarities between some post war Cz  production and some Monart. Nigel was kind enough to give us a potted verbal history which was instructive. As you say with your piece it does not appear to be a Skrdlovice production piece and Veliskova appears by this time to have almost exclusively worked for them at this time, though she had according to Petrova (and some pieces I have evidence for) designed for CMS before she came to Skrdlovice. Reich in the 1930's also produced some similar work to this (at a time when E. Beranek was working there) though Glassexport would not likely make an error this far adrift. It does not seem a very Veliskova piece but she was a diverse designer and it is not totally impossible. Also, Skrdlovice was especially linked to experimental glassmaking around 1951 and perhaps this was very small scale production which did not touch the pattern books. A very interesting piece that may not have been far removed from Skrdlovice at this time. Their designs even pre 1950 could be quite complex and the familiar straight "pulegoso" style "schaumglas" mainly designed in the 40's, seriously under-represents their technical capabilities, since some pieces form this factory are refined by this time, including clear casing etc... certainly by 1951, in my opinion, this may have been possible at Skrdlovice... though I am not able to make more specific comments beyond this at this time and I cannot necessarily help take your attribution quest much further down the road.....

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand