Author Topic: Italian not Murano?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 02:35:42 AM »
Leni, your people are in a different league altogether, what skill! I would never have thought it possible to do portraits in glass like that.

Ivo,  I believe that tumbler is not anything special,  it's 'cute'  though,  Kev's plate is better quality. I found the faces after purchase and thought it interesting enough to ponder on it's origins. Like much of my glass,  it may be put to use and it's form suggests the bathroom . Along with the Nazeing mulberry bucket, within which lurk toothbrushes and toothpaste.
Ruth.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 11:07:28 PM »
Ivo, any chance of a photo of the Barovier-attributed "smiley" cane in your cup? Is it identical to the ones already shown?

And is the "big Murrhine book" the one by Sarpellino (if I've got the name right)? There is a book covering canes and murrhine that I don't have and I am finding it hard to even track one down - although I think I know someone who may have one, or at least, who may know a contact who may have one.
KevinH

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:50 AM »
http://tinypic.com/e0iedt.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea which book it is - I just remember it was big, expensive, hefty and looked utterly serious
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 11:34:02 AM »
Kev, is this the book you're looking for? http://tinyurl.com/bybhe  8)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 12:14:38 PM »
Thanks Ivo - Hmm, the face canes are, indeed, the same. This is getting more intriguing.

And thanks, Marcus, for the email pointing me to sources for books covering murrine. Whether or not they will cover the "face canes" discussed (or even if either are the "hefty" one that Ivo mentioned - probably not), I have ordered Venetian Beads, Mosaic Glass and Murrine ... (Giovanni Sarpellon) and also Designs In Miniature ... (Moretti, Gianni and Sarpellon). I am also considering the Murrine E Millfiori ... catalog you mentioned.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 12:26:14 PM »
Thanks, Anne. Yes, I think that's the "hefty" one - with the hefty price (ranging from $185 to $250 via the Amazon sources!). It is this one for which I think a friend may know of a UK source, which may (or may not!) save me shipping costs. I also think I know of somebody with a copy, who may be prepared to do some browsing for me.

More on these "face canes" sometime ... maybe.
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 12:42:15 PM »
Expensive book!  :roll:

Kev, have you looked on http://www.abebooks.co.uk? Put Sarpellon in the Author Name search box and see what comes up. :wink:

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand