No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another I need some help with  (Read 7989 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Another I need some help with
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 06:37:16 AM »
From Graham's picture I would certainly agree that the tops of the vases are identical. It would seem logical to me, and typical of the czech practice to simply the designs for "mass production", that they were Hospodka. I've seen many of the vases like Emmi's at fairs etc and they all seem to come in the typical czech colours aswell - such as the citrine and lilac colours that the common Klinger pieces are found in.

Hi Richard, whilst I agree there's a good likeness in the rims they're certainly not 'identical'.  If you look at Emmi's and my vases again you'll see that the eye shaped rim is totally horizontal, the one in the catalogue that Graham has shown is slanted upwards.  So when you take into consideration that the body shapes are also very different all we've got between the original vases and the catalogue photo really is a similarity in the rim finish and not a lot else.

*Edit* with regard to the colour and frequency of these vases - being a dealer I'm constantly on the lookout for glass at auctions, bootsales, charity shops etc and I've only seen 3 of these vases in the flesh in the 5/6 years I've been doing this and they've all been the same dark bluey green colour.  I personally don't think it's sensible we should use items members have *seen* but not shown, as confirmation that they were produced in other colours and therefore must be Hospodka or whoever - it's all way too tenuous IMO - they could be completely different vases.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 07:21:25 AM »
I agree - I have seen similar things made in Germany (was it Friedrich? Was it Hirschberg? Was it Wiesenthalhütte?) so unless there is a 100% match better err on the safe side.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 09:27:58 AM »
Hi Pip,

I just can't see a difference in the rims:

As for my comments on the colours. I was simply trying to add supporting evidence that the vases I have seen (probably 4 in the last year) have been in colours that I typically associate to known czech designs.

Thanks,

Richard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
I *can* see a difference - the rim in the catalogued vase appears to be pulled higher at one end. 

With regard to the other colours, if you can post some photos up of them here that would be far preferable (and much more helpful) from a research point of view than simply anecdotal evidence.  Knowing how easily mistakes can be made (and I assure you I've made some howlers in my time) I now require much more than fairly loose comparisons and anecdotes before I'll positively attribute something - we all know how eager eBayers are to pounce on information and relay it as fact and thus a new myth is born!

Plus, it has to be said that both Marcus and Jindrich have their doubts about the Hospodka attribution and their extensive knowledge of Czech glass shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand