No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rose bowl not Fenton Peach Blow Crest, possibly English?  (Read 5552 times)

Offline buysel

• Members
Rose bowl not Fenton Peach Blow Crest, possibly English?
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:13:17 PM »
Hello.  I'm new to the forum and would like help identifying a piece of glass.  I believe this is Fenton Peach Blow Crest, but I am not sure.  This piece has an applied handle and leaf and a ground pontil on the bottom.  I'm also not sure what this piece would be called or the value. The measurements are 5  1/2" across the top, 4  1/2" tall, and 4  1/2" at the widest point of the body.   Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
Re: Please Help Identify ~ Perhaps Fenton Peach Blow Crest
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »
We can eliminate Fenton Peach Crest, as this is not a Fenton shape or crimp style, and our Peach Crest pieces did not have a ground pontil or applied decoration such as that wonderful long leaf on your piece. However, I suspect that this is an English or European piece that is the sort of thing that inspired our Peach Crest when it was first made in the early 1940s.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
This is a good question for Bernard. It reminds me of some of the vases made by Boulton & Mills.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:49:26 PM »
I ran into some similar vases on the Stourbridge glass site. The link is http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/victorian_glass/stourbridge_glass.htm
Boulton & Mills is a Stourbridge company. This is the end of my English glass knowledge.  :-[
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
I'm not sure that is a good reference. I'm not even sure those pieces are all English.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »
buysel & Anita — The only serious reference I've found to turn of the century fancy glass with such applied decoration is Gulliver, Victorian Decorative Glass: British Designs, 1850-1914.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
My first reaction was that it was 19th C English glass, before reading any of the other posts - I don't have my copy of Mervyn Gulliver's book to hand - but he illustrates a number of very similar pieces. Pretty little piece!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
hello buysel  -  having looked thru Gulliver, don't see this exactly, but then that wud be too easy.   Can only assume your lighting has accentuated the pink - it looks  bit brighter than those in the book.      I assume you have some base wear comensurate with a Victorian piece.    For what its worth can also say that Gullivery felt thes bi-coloured stylised Acanthus leaf pieces of sufficient significance to devote a two page spread to the subject  i.e.  pink/white  -  green/yellow also amber/green/pale ruby.
However, for some reason he avoids giving any attribution.               Manley gives a couple of examples with bi-coloured leaves, which he quotes as Stevens and Williams, and dating to about 1890 - 1900.   Can you comment on any ovbious wear.                      cheers              Paul S.

Offline buysel

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »
Many thanks to all who have replied to my query.  I have included some additional pictures and have found that the milk glass fluoresces green under black light.  Does this make it vaseline glass or uranium glass?.  In response to Paul, the bottom shows good evidence of age wear toward the outside circumference of the underside.  Also the color is pretty close to the color value of the pictures.  I photograped using a daylight flourescent and the camera flash ( the flash overides the flourescent I'm pretty sure)  I really appreciate the information and if it is possible to make a positive attribution for the maker and the time of manufacture that would be great.  If you click the thumbnails they will enlarge. 

Cheers,

Scott

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 06:51:33 AM »
It is uranium glass (vaseline glass is uranium glass but is a term best reserved for the greenish yellow clear variant). You are unlikely to get a maker for your lovely vase. It's either English or Bohemian (although I might veer slightly toward English) and dates to about the 1890s. Everyone copied each other, that acanthus leaf is not exclusive. I have a shelf plus full of such uranium custard glass items. I would volunteer to examine in person, but of course you would have to send it to me  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand