No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Afors Vase - Artist & Value? It is like Ingebor Lundin's Ariel pieces  (Read 9043 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com

This vase was given to my mother in the late 50's, and subsequently given to me. It is marked Afors on the foot, along with the initial GH followed by 793. I am interested in the artist, if anyone can tell me, and also in an approx. value of a vase like this. It is unlike any Afors pieces I have seen online, or on ebay. It is much more strongly reminiscent of some of Ingeborg Lundin's Ariel pieces for Orrefors. The piece is in excellent condition, has age appropriate age wear on the underside and measures 7 inches tall, 4 inches wide and 3 inches deep.  Thanks in advance for any info.  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Afors Vase - Artist & Value? It is like Ingebor Lundin's Ariel pieces
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »
Gorgeous vase. I found another example of an Afors "Ariel" piece of glass at http://www.botterweg.com/Auction/tabid/36/auctionID/4/tag/Afors/language/en-US/Default.aspx.
I wonder if it the same maker.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »
Thank You. It would appear that unlike Orrefors, the initials GH, as opposed to indicating an artist may actually be a part of the model number, or possibly a date code of some sort. It would not seem logical that the artist of that piece would sign both his name, and then also use initials. The other piece is dated in the description to a very similar age that my piece would be. I am not exactly sure of the year that my mom received it, but if not 1957, within a year or two of that either direction. I'll wait and see if anyone else can provide additional info.....  I now know more than I have ever known before about this type of glass and Afors.  Thanks!!!  Craig

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 04:59:10 AM »
GH  stands for Ernst Gordon who joined worked at Ã…fors from 1953 to 1963.
If you are googling him, be careful with the spelling it IS Ernst, not Ernest  ;)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks for the additional info. I may actually be on my way to knowing what the piece is, and who the artist was.  Thanks again!!  Craig

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
I knew I'd seen this piece before, it was the link to Ernest Gordon which brought back where...
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24729.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »
I knew I'd seen this piece before, it was the link to Ernest Gordon which brought back where...
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24729.0.html

Inspector Clouseau! :clap:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »
A link provided to another Ernest(sic) Gordon vase like this one has led me to believe that the number on the base of this is most likely 193, and not 793. The 7 is most likely a 1 with an age wear scratch in front of it.

I am in the US and am also wondering if the numeric 7 used to mark vases in Europe / Scandinavia / UK  would be what we refer to as a European 7 with a horizontal line through the vertical portion of the 7, and if so, is this pretty consistently done? 

Thanks, Craig

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »
The barred 7 is not routinely used in the UK Craig.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
Craig,

What do you want to know about Ernest Gordon ? (Ernest not Ernst, he was from Sheffield, but I think Ernst is the more common Swedish spelling and you invariably see his bits listed as such on their sites).
I've been collecting his pieces for approx 5 years, and was lucky to meet him a couple of years ago (now sadly passed on) but am still in contact with his wife. My goal in the next year or two is to publish a book of his pieces - almost there ! (just need the time)
He worked at Kosta for few years, and Afors for much longer, then came back to the UK.
I'm aware of 4 "production" ariel pieces he did: yours and the three below. (the same bowl was made under two numbers - I've got both and can't see a difference).

I've also two others (unsigned), one shown on this message:
 http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=24729.new;topicseen#new
and another that's the second one below, but flared out into a bowl - I'll see if I can post a pic.

He seems to have used similar signing codes at both Kosta and Afors G for Gordon and then H, G, S etc etc. (ie same as Lindstrand LH, LG, LS)

Approx value ?

I've not seen 193 sold before.
GH 194 (bit bigger vase) went for around $800 - $900 in 2004 (2 sales), time has moved on, but so has the credit crunch.

If you ever do decide to sell, do let me know - always collecting his bits for the book

Gareth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand