No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this called "ART GLASS" OR "MURANO" OR "MODERN GLASS"?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
Is this called "ART GLASS" OR "MURANO" OR "MODERN GLASS"?
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
Hi all.

I bought this jug last week at a car boot sale from a friendly lady :). It measures at about 21cm tall and weighed around 700g.

Some air bubbles present on its handle. No markings / sticker label present.

The top and the inner part of this jug is red in colour, and the remaining / lower part is orange-ish colour.

Based on the photos attached, can anyone here ID and provide me some info on this jug please? Is this called art glass, murano or modern glass???

Cheers
Brenton

Offline tonyatl

• Members
Re: Is this called "ART GLASS" OR "MURANO" OR "MODERN GLASS"?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
unless you know that it was made by a murano artisan/firm it would be considered art glass....if it were made post ww1 it would also be considered modern if made in a modern style. ( i know that i will have started a firestorm about my definition of modern but i will happily defend it  8)

oftentimes murano glass will indeed have a sticker on it - at least for souvenir / export type pieces.

there is a murano forum on this site which would be able to answer about the murano attribution. my guess is that it is not but the pictures were dark so i would defer to a more knowledgeable collector.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:07:35 PM »
The decanter looks like Empoli glass to me. The bright color and shape are common in glass from Empoli.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »
Thanks people...I'll try to post the same thing under the murano section....cheers..Brenton

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:03:32 AM »
Brenton, you don't need to repost it, we can move this over if needed
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:50:33 AM »
The decanter looks like Empoli glass to me. The bright color and shape are common in glass from Empoli.

Anita is 100% correct - this decanter was made by one of several factories in Empoli (near Florence) in the late sixties - early seventies. Such items are considered decorative glass rather than art glass because they were made in some volume. Stylistically they are much in the taste of the sixties/ seventies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand