No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Confirmation of Flavio Poli / Archimede Seguso Attribution - HUGE SOMMERSO VASE  (Read 1693 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I have had this for several years. It was purchased at an auction. I have collected glass for many years, and it is by far the largest piece of sommerso I have ever owned, or ever seen. It is 18.5 inches tall, 10 inches wide and 4 inches deep. It weighs in at just under 25 lbs. It is triple sommerso with a blue inner layer, a very thin cranberry layer, and a clear layer on the exterior. It is masterfully executed, with the cranberry layer being so thin in the neck that it can only be seen at certain angles in certain light. It serves more to give the piece an overall purplish look as far as color goes. When I first got it I contacted several dealers around the US and general concensus was that it was a Poli piece. Several of the people I contacted felt that it may have actually been blown by Archimede Seguso, due to the immense size and the talent required to execute a piece this large.

I am simply putting it up here because I am interested in any other opinions regarding the piece that I can find.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
i don't have the experience to answer you, but
I wanted to say what a beautiful piece,  :hiclp:

martin

Offline Jurgen

• Members
Thank you for sharing your Poli/Seguso sommerso with us! And yes, it is immense!! You are very, very lucky to know who the maker is! First off, let me say that I am no slouch when it comes to sommerso's, having more than five, six dozen-many,many more. My wife says it's a sickness! I think sommerso's are probably one of the most difficult types glass to identify as of maker without a sticker or some other kind of factory mark! There were and still are many, many different factories in many, many different countries that make them. And we all know the glass trade! Everbody shopped everbody elses store! When something sold, everybody and their brother made them! More than once, I have seen sommerso's that could have passed for twins, only to see that they had different factory labels. So I was very happy that you found out who made your exceptionally large sommerso. And of course, yours puts my large one all to shame. I had to tell my wife that you had a bigger one than me. My wife tried to calm me down by saying that size doesn't matter! It's the skill and workmanship that give pleasure and delight!! (Why did she have say with a chuckle and big grin.) If I have some extra time next month, I'll get the big one out and expose it to you. If it sounds like I'm having little bit of fun with you, you're right!! If we can't have some fun in our hobbies, we need to find a new one! Keep your sommerso in a place of respect!!..............jerry 

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thank You Jerry... I can not tell you the immense amount of pleasure it brings me knowing that mine is bigger than yours.  >:D   I originally bought it with the intention of selling it.  At that point in time I did not really understand how large it actually is.

I brought it home and set it in my living room, and was absolutely stunned at the size when it sat with some other "large" pieces of glass I had. It makes every other piece of glass in my house look small, and there are some other good sized pieces. I knew at that moment I had a real treasure, and have never considered selling it since then.  It is, by far, the largest piece of sommerso glass I have ever seen.

I study and collect several types of glass, to include Italian Mid Century, Austro-Hungarian, Mid Century Czech, and some Scandinavian.......  It is one of the highlights of my collection.

I have a special Deco Era table I restored that it sits on, which is quite unique. It is an old store display that you can turn on. I added the acrylic top, and the thick acrylic top and the support rotate. It has a prominent place of distinction in our home. I'll post a picture of it in it's place.

Thanks for your post, it brought a great smile to my face....  You are right, if we can't have fun, then the journey is all but over..... and at 56 I am far too young for that thought.....   There is way too much glass to find and look at...... 

Craig

Here is the vase in it's place of distinction
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand