No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: small bulb vase?? - ID = Whitefriars Pat. 9471  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
small bulb vase?? - ID = Whitefriars Pat. 9471
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
rather 'dinky' as you can see  -  only 6.25cms high, and about 8cms. wide.  A sort of 'sea green' colour vaguely.     Not sure what to call it, but it cetainly looks like a very small bulb vase  -  the upper sides are not straight enough perhaps for a candle holder.       The top is ground, and bevelled both inside and out.   No pontil mark of any sort, but what made me buy it was the degree of matt wear on the base  -  made me think it might have been 30  -  50 years old.     Possibly Scandinavian or English, although can't see it in my few books.    Wud be grateful for any opinions please  -  many thanks              cheers           Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: small bulb vase??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »
sorry - I had also meant to ask...is this what is technically known as 'optically ribbed'.??   cheers         Paul S.

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »
Hi Paul,

If you had not given the dimensions I would have said straightaway: bulbvase. This model begins to show up in the bulb catalogues of around 1910 and I have them myself. Always bought in England and also the bulb catalogue is English.
The size however is very small for a hyacinth (when the roots start to grow they have nowhere to go), and for a crocus I can imagine the neck is too wide and the bulb will fall through.
The alternative is that it might be a posy vase. When I started to collect bulb vases I ended up with quite a few of those, till the bulb farmers set me straight.
Your glass question I cannot answer apart from the fact that mine are with dimples, hobnail, plain, optic etc.
Hope all this is of any use.

Patricia

P.S. Afterthought: Dartington made something similar and they were candleholders!   
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »
Whitefriars did a very small optic-ribbed posy similar to this. I had one in Midnight Blue - might be worth checking against their catalogues...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »
thanks Patricia and Anne  -  I felt inclined to the bulb idea because the sides of the top were quite strongly curved, and not straight (as I assumed a candle holder wud be).    The colour is of course one that has many popular shades in glass manufacture  -  especially items from the last 50 years.
I will try posting on the Whitefriars site  -  although if someone has a Dartington book, and they are able to look sometime  -  wud very grateful.    How about if I tried a daffodil or tulip bulb  wouldn't they fit.??     Not a posy vase I don't think, they are not usually 'waisted', or are they?     thanks again.    cheers         Paul S.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »
Mine was Paul - see pic below for comparison...

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
I've looked in the Dartington book and there are *similar* items but nothing pictured that is the exact same shape. 

If it is by Dartington however we can date it to the early 90s since Mark's book says that the green colour was introduced circa 1990 and wasn't particularly popular so was discontinued within a couple of years.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »
thanks for replies  -  so posy vases are waisted after all  -  well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!.          Must admit I wud have had Anne's down as a bulb vase also. Incidentally, Anne, I don't get any idea of how tall your Whitefriars one is.      Thanks for looking in Dartington Pip  -  think I'm disappointed that it might not be at least 30 years old  -  its just that the base wear seemed to indicate something nearer the 70's  ish.     Perhaps if the Dartington dropped it from production fairly quickly, maybe its deadly rare!!!     I'll put it on the Whitefriars site now, just in case.              cheers            Paul S.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »
Quite small Paul - about 2½" tall - you can see the catalogue image here:
http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=64

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »
It looks  like the Whitefriars one Pat. 9471 in colour Sea Green...........the answer is also on .com, with years of production  showing under your photo
Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand