No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: small bulb vase?? - ID = Whitefriars Pat. 9471  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
Re: small bulb vase??
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
Anne, looking at your Whitefriars site I saw things I never knew before.
Of the numbers 9472, 9473 and 9474 would it be possible to give the height of them all (I couldn't read it). And what does F.A.G.B.T.R mean?
Do these catalogues have an index and if so how do they describe these numbers?
Looks like a discovery for me!

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »
Hi Pat, it's not my site but I can help with some of the info you ask about...   :thup:

The F.A.G.B.T.R are the colour codes - usually these are shown in the front of the catalogues but on w/f.com the images are cut up so you don't see that info.

If you use the catalogues over on the other w/f site at http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/mf/ - the catalogues are in the forum and you need to register to view them.  The difference is that they are complete page scans so you get all the extra info like the colour codes and they are larger so the sizes can be seen as well. Using both sites together gives you a great resource as the w/f.com one has the search function as well which w/f.org doesn't.

Hope this helps.  :rn:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »
On whitefriars.com, the initial catalogues pages  which come up, are just photos with a pattern number underneath.  BUT, if you click on any photo you will then link into a catalogue page with details of height and colours, at least on most of them!!  But whitefriars.org has  got a catalogue or two which does not appear on .com.  Emmi

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »
67 pages on the .com!!
It's going to be a labour of love, thanks Anne and Emmi, my Easter days are filled!

Patricia
Patricia

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
Make it easy on   yourself!!!   You  have the pattern numbers.  On the Home page is a search box.  Type in your number and click "go".  this will bring you directly into the catalogue page you need.

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »
Ah Emmi, what what if the other catalogues have other hidden treasures.....
Catalogues are the spice of life (to me anyway).

Patricia
Patricia

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 06:36:17 PM »
It has just been pointed out to me on .com that this may not be as we thought, as although the dimensions and colour seems OK the actual vase looks a bit squat.  I had put that down to the angle of the photograph.  Perhaps a new photo from a full frontal profile angle would help in this case.  So until a new photo is seen, I will have to withdraw the attribution for the time being.  I was a bit hasty, so apologies. Emmi

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »
well, I'm all for full frontal pics.  -  so here goes.   sincere thanks for all the trouble people are taking  -  and yes, probably the wrong angle on the first images.   Certainly doesn't appear to be 9471, its much more squat that that particular shape, as mentioned by David Fletcher on wfrs.com.      Have measured again (with calipers) and seems to run out at 62mm (2" and 14/16ths in old money)  -  although I don't know if the 2.5 inches quoted for 9471 was deadly accurate, or an approximation.     Are we saying that the colour is o.k. for Whitefriars, but no available similar image to match it with??             I still think the base wear indicates something older that the early 90's.     cheers               Paul S.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
Well if this one is Whitefriars it would be older than the 90s,  this colour was a late 50s colour.  However the new photo still makes it look squat, so maybe you'll have to look at other options.  Re: size, a half inch tolerance on a large blown vase  would be just about acceptable, but on a small thing like this I think unacceptable.  The correct height  would have been helpful from the onset.  Emmi

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »
with all due respect Emmi - I think you shud go back and look at my original figures.     I was in fact only 0.5mm out!!  (6.25cms  =  62.5mm).    Not quite sure where you get half an inch from!    However, perhaps conclusion is that item is not Whitefriars - so I will carry on looking.    My thanks to all of you.   Now I must go to bed, as I need to rise at 5 a.m. for the boot sale.      good night           cheers          Paul S. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand