No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: small bulb vase?? - ID = Whitefriars Pat. 9471  (Read 5452 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: small bulb vase??
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 07:46:26 AM »
 :-[A mistake on  my part and the Whitefriars catalogues are all in inches.  Even with a tape measure I cannot match them up, number dyslexia?  Not helped by the fact I am still suffering the effects of anaesthetic from a minor op I had at the beginning of the week. Perhaps I should just go back to bed and not bother for a while.  Emmi

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
sorry to hear you have been unwell Emmi  -  never mind the mistake - remember  'people who don't make mistakes, don't usually make anything' - i shud know.    Just as a sort of postscript to this thread, I was wading thru Gulliver the other day for something Victorian, and I came across an absolute idientically shapped thingy in his book, albeit different colour and slightly bigger.    Just goes to show nothing new under the sun.          cheers               Paul S.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
I was wading thru Gulliver the other day for something Victorian, and I came across an absolute idientically shapped thingy in his book, albeit different colour and slightly bigger. 

That would probably be a bulb vase.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »
thanks for the input Ivo  -  and just for anyone who may wish to know the details........the reference in Gulliver is.....page 87.     Of course the technical differences are that the C19 example has a fire polished rim  -  has 12 ribs only, and is 9.5 cms high (as opposed to 6.25 cms.)  -  and different colour.    It just caught my eye that the overall shape is so similar.          cheers          Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
And yours has a neck and the Gulliver one doesn't. I would also dispute that the Gulliver one is a bulb vase: it's too short for a anything bigger than a crocus or an acorn and the hole looks too wide for either. I think they are both just small posy or violet vases.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
I think Christine you are stretching the point about the neck.    With the page open, and my vase tilted to the same perspective angle  -  the neck on mine disappears also.    However, you don't have mine with which to do that, so perhaps you have confused yourself.     The one in the book is getting on for 4" tall, so I think it is not out of the question that it might support the root mass of a hyacinth.    Do you have personal experience of growing bulb varieties in smaller bulb vases??   -   If you do, then share your results with us, and tell us the mean or average length of hyacinth roots when grown in smaller restrictive vases.     As a suggestion, how about 'bonsai' hyacinths.     I wud, however, concede that the top curved part of mine appears shorter  -  also that my base is less rounded.         My original point really tho, was just that the overall shape seemed so similar.      My thanks, however, for your critical assessment, what is the point of not being pertinent.       Maybe I will try and grown a bulb in mine.   cheers    Paul S.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »
Maybe I will try and grown a bulb in mine.

It Will Not Work.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:26 PM »
ughhhhh  -  thanks Ivo  -  but if it does, I will send you a pic.     Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 06:48:43 AM »
I think perhaps your remarks were a little uncalled for. My comments were not intended to be nasty. You started pointing out the dissimilarities - I just added another as I saw it.

What I know about growing bulbs in water and identifying bulb vases has been learnt from Ivo and Patricia - they are the Dutch experts in such things, particularly Patricia. You should have seen her upside down, underwater hyacinth!  :o

Tiny posy vases are quite common - small flowers like violets and primroses were commonly sold until the late 1960s at least, as I can remember my father buying me violets. Many of the catalogues actually list violet vases. In addition, flower arrangements often consisted of flowers on very short stems so that you had an arrangement of flower heads (a la Paula Pryke although she was the flower guru in the 1980s not the 1890s) rather than flowers on stems.

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 09:22:34 AM »
Hi Andy,

Two pictures for you and one for Christine.
I was surprised myself sometimes to see how many and how long bulb roots can be.
This picture is an average size bulb.
The other picture is of a tulip, your type of vase but it all depends on the opening of the vase if it can be used for bulbs.
And Christine, I tried 5 hyacinths upside down this year, only one worked. So did Ivo!

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand