No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge lobed Bowls Chribska ? Hospodka ? Sklo Union  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Huge lobed Bowls Chribska ? Hospodka ? Sklo Union
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »
Im pretty sure my hunch is right for this big pair of bowls. Bought as Murano from auction, 99% sure they are Czech, i suspected Beranek, having looked at Mark Hills Hi Sklo Lo Sklo, i think they are a
Josef Hodspodka design for Chribska, Page 37 colours are right, super 3 lobed 'Arrow' shape and
colourless foot.
Would other Sklo fans and  members with Marks book agree ??  :thup:

Cheers
Andy
ps off my scales at well over 3 Kg! 19 inches (48cm long) about 6 inches tall.
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Huge lobed Bowls Chribska ? Hospodka ? Sklo Union
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:34:10 PM »
Hi Andy,
I am not sure with Mark's attribution, it has to be confirmed from Skrdlovice pattern book, but generaly he can be true.

Son of Emanuel Beranek (founder of Skrdlovice glasswork) has worked few years in 50ties in Chribka and came back to Skrdlovice with designs simmilar to Hospodka. (this information comes from F. Vizner) You can find Chribska - look like pieces in museum in Nove Mesto na Morave (http://hg.nmnm.cz/stálá%20expozice.htm). I was shocked becouse some pieces I would 100% attribute to Chribska and Hospodka. The next facor that should confirn Mark's attribution is fact that this bowl I have not found in any Chribska catalogue.

Jindrich

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »
Hi Jindrich,
thanks for your help, it maybe impossible to put a designer or factory to these without a label,
signature, or catalogue !
Quite an unusual shape for the bowls, so maybe something more positive will appear.

It seems i am in the right area, Czech and certainly Not Murano!

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
Hi Andy,
seems to me that all Mark Hill's informations came from Glasrevue. Unfortunately with this source we must handle with maximum attention, becouse sometimes attributions published  there are not correct. It has been discovered by Marcus Newhall when he summarised data for his phenomenal Sklo Union monography (www.sklounion.com), he spent many days with cross-checking Glasrevue infos with other catalogues. Errors are not systematical, so wrongly attributed piece in Glasrevue issue 8 are correctly given in issue 9 without any errata or something like this. Seems to me that some Glasrevue mistakes came from translation original Czech texts to German or English, some are typing or typography errors.

This piece, however, is definitely Czech and truly is not very rare here. Generaly speaking, about 30 - 50 percent of "free hand shaped" glass atributed as Murano at Ebay is from Chribska or from another Czech factory.

Jindrich

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 06:04:19 PM »
Thanks Jindrich.

Just found a super pair of vases in a small antiques fair  :thup:

give me a few minutes.
Andy
 ;D

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »
Hi,
I thought i may send an email to Dusan, 'argonf' as he seems a nice friendly chap, and ive spent a few
euros with him over the years!
He has kindly replied that it is Czech, Chribska, probably Hospodka .
He thinks Mark Hills book is great and Graham Cooley has a great collection of post war glass.

Im not sure if he is aware of this site. I will mention it, and invite him to pop in  :thup:

Cheers
Andy

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »
Jindrich's right, I did indeed use Czechoslovak Glass Review as my main source of information - all several yards of it from the 1950s-90s. I soon became aware that it was not reliable...an attribution in one edition can be completely different in another, even though sometimes it's the same photograph! So, quite a bit of thought and, where possible, cross-referencing with information in other texts was necessary. Reference was, of course, made to the objects themselves at first hand. This helps enormously, even though it does mean some attributions are arguably based on a personal opinion and 'reading' of an object, and another it may be related to. Where this was the case, I expressed that with a 'probably'.
The only reference I have come across for this range (yes, there are more shapes!), based on the colour tones and lobed design is in a period advertisement, where it is simple called 'Niagara'. No other information was listed, just the standard Sklo Export stuff. Not much help, but I thought it may perhaps help. My personal opinion and feeling is for Beranek/Skrdlovice, as I expressed on p19...if there's any news, I'd love to know, I have a couple of pieces from this range....all bought as Murano...
Best,
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
Hi Mark,
good message for all of us is that pattern books from Skrdlovice exist, and I have an access to it. The problem, and I suppose for all of us, is the time. So many things has to be done and one has only 24 hours a day.

Jindrich

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »
Jus a little notice,
I have access to German version of Glasrevue, I never compared German and English version of this journal. I am afraid, we can have sets of different bugs :-)
J.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »
Thanks Mark and Jindrich,
I did think the Niagra on page 19 was a possibility!  The colour on mine is more Peachy than that one,
im fairly confident it must be one of the 2 factories. Any more info welcome :D

Mark, hope the books are selling well, ive certainly noticed the growing popularity of Czech glass, it may well
soon be out of my price range! lucky ive already got some nice bits, and im always watching out for
unusual 'Murano' !  ;D
(did you see the nice pair i found on Sunday?  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25891.0.html )

Cheers
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand