No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification request - heavy glass disc with abstract design  (Read 4067 times)

Offline jonnybrum

• Members
Hi folks - this is a very well executed, sculptural piece of glass.   Was sold to me as Dartington Studio (which I doubted at the time) - has a troika feel about it.  Can anyone help me?

Many thanks

Jon   

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Identification request - heavy glass disc with abstract design
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
Hi Jon,
rings a vague bell, I have foolishly lent my book on Dartington Glass to a friend (well he will be as long as it is returned), hopefully I will have it back tomorrow if no one else can help in the meantime.
John.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »
There's nothing like this shown in Mark Hill's Dartington book.  FWIW, I personally wouldn't think of Dartington production when I look at this object (paperweight?) anyway.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »
Apologies, my books have not been returned but I will let Bryn off as he lent me a lovely one on Loetz. The Dartington book I have is different from Pip's ('first twenty years') and I have asked Bryn to have a look in it and to leave a post later.
John.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
What are the dimensions?

Offline jonnybrum

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
Hi

Thanks for all the comments.

The glass piece is 8 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches thick. 

Jon 

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »
Hi Jon,
I am that scoundrel who has John's book >:D. However I don't think I will find your sculpture in the book as I think your disc was a fairly recent creation. I know this because I have what sounds like a very similar piece. It was purchased a few years ago in Devon when we visited a Dartington outlet shop/ visiter centre at Torrington whilst holidaying in Torquay. Our piece, which also resembles a Troika wheel vase carries a paper label to the base entitled Innovate The Art of Glass. I believe the company is or probably was a subsidiary of Dartington at the time. There was a Company buy out 2 years ago, that's after my visit, I hope i was not the cause of it's downfall!!.  However I think the visiter centre still exists
I really enjoyed my visit there and just wanted a memo of my visit - so the Innovate sculpture. My disc seems a little bit deeper than yours at 2" with the reverse having a very rough texture and a series of 12 "nipple" like protruberances.
I have taken a photo to show my piece.
Cheers,
Bryn

Offline jonnybrum

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »
Oh, thanks so much Bryn. Looks like you've cracked it!

I was away from the house when I posted the measurements.  Now I'm back the piece is actually 2 inches thick with a diameter of 7 inches.  It also has a number of protruberances like yours on the back.   A lovely piece and although modern looks very much at home with my collection of 60/70's glass/ceramics.

Thanks again for all those who contributed.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
Hi Jon,
The Innovate company exists today in North Yorkshire but still uses the Dartington connection in it's title. The glass sold is much different now so who knows our short lived sculptures may become sought after items in the future making us exceedingly rich!!!
All the best,
Bryn

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
Hi,
Both look to me like they're sandcasts designed, and possibly executed by, Sarah Peterson for Caithness Glass. They should have rough backs where the powdered enamel was sprinkled into the sand mould if so. Perhaps some of the 'early' ones, or another range was produced for the company(ies) you mention.
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand