No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glassy places to visit in Krakow?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Glassy places to visit in Krakow?
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:25:11 PM »
:D:D:D
Hello everybody, I'm being whisked off to Krakow for a short holiday and although I've got a guide book there only seems to be a mention of one Glass and Ceramic Gallery to visit, in Grodzka. Surely there must be more than this! Does anybody have any knowledge of anywhere else to go that they would be kind enough to tell me about? Thanks in advance! :D:D:D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 07:39:20 PM »
Sue, how wonderful!  Hope you have a great time there. :)

The only glass artist I've found in Krakow so far is Jan Siedlecki, but I can't tell from his website if he is visitable. It may be worth e-mailing him if you're interested. http://republika.pl/jan_siedlecki/index.htm

There's a Stained Glass Museum in Krakow as well... http://www.stainedglass.pl/ - there seems to be a great deal of excellent stained glass to see... http://www.krakow-info.com/witraz.htm and did you know that Krakow is the "world centre of the production of glass-balls which are hand-made and painted and that Kraków glass-balls decorate the Christmas tree in the White House?" (I didn't know that!!!) http://www.guide-cracow.pl/gb/wigilia.html

For other things like food, events, internet cafe locations etc...  this may prove useful... http://www.cracow-life.com  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 09:17:10 PM »
Sue said:
I'm being whisked off to Krakow for a short holiday

Yay Sue!  You got and have a great time, and come back with plenty of LSA, you know you want to.   :wink:  :D  :D

The Polish Chamber of Commerce say this:

Many Polish glass factories are concentrated in Krosno, Poland. The Krosno region and Krosno glass is well known. Krosno glass, as it is internationally known, is hand decorated by many Polish artists and sold to discriminating Polish art glass collectors.

If you come to Poland, you will find that getting to Krosno to visit the factories is NOT EASY. So do call us at the Warsaw Trade Center and we will try to make arrangements to have those products that you want on hand for your preliminary viewing. And we will help you contact the right factories.

(I don't think they'll mind me posting this, as it's in the public sector anyway, and I'm helping to advertise Poland.  This is what I'll tell the solicitor if they try to sue me now.   :shock: )
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »
:D:D:D
Thanks very much Anne and Max! I wasn't really counting stained glass, which was very silly of me :oops::oops::oops: , I do suspect we'll be spending a great deal of time in churches!! (I'm hoping, as always, for loads of medieval paintings with fire-farting monsters etc. I've only ever seen any in Augsberg, but hope springs eternal).
I'm afraid I was definitely not counting the painted balls, and want nothing in common with the White house! I got more 8):D8) Allister Malcolm 8):D8) hand-made balls for my Christmas tree!
I shall try contacting the people you suggest, Max, and let you know what happens!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand