No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finnish Humppila vase  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Finnish Humppila vase
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »
this was an acquisition early today, and the first Finnish piece in my collection.    21 cms. tall, and 12cms. at the widest, with a ground and polished flat base - around the outside of which (on opposite sides of the base are the words  "Helander" and "Humppila".    The top rim is fire polished.        So, knowing naff all about Scandinavian factories I turned up Ivo's book (essential reading for everyone) and found the word 'Humpilla'  -  but can't see the other word, which I am thinking might be the designer/individual worker.     Sorry, keep forgetting to use the 'search' facility.    Any thoughts gratefully received.      cheers               Paul S.           

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Finnish Humppila vase
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »
sorry, meant to say that the words are incised with - presumably - diamond point.    cheers        Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »

I must be improving a little  -  and have managed to locate a small but very useful precis of history kindly posted by 'robbo' back in September 05, the gist of which runs:

quote.......
"Founded 1952 by Jonni, Martti(??) and Olavi Helander, brothers who had previously worked at Nuutajärvi as glassblowers. The works produced both 'art glass' and household wares. You occasionally see items signed 'Helander'. At this time some of the 'art glass' produced was Gunnel Nyman type controlled bubble items - I believe Helander brothers had made the originals when at Nuutajärvi.
Sold in a forced auction 1970 (there had been financial problems). New owner Rolf Alander.
1976 Humppila buys the Kumela glassworks from the Kumela family (Blomqvist had designed for Kumela). Kumela continued to produce glass by blowing and lead crystal, while the Humppila works concentrated on centrifugal casting and more mechanical means of production.
1986 Sold to Wärtsilä, owners of Nuutäjarvi. Subsequently, though the various takeovers/mergers, part of Iittala Oy Ab. Factory still exists, as part of Iittala".

I assume from this that my piece wud seem to fall somewhere between 1952 and 1970..............unless anyone has a better idea.    thanks         Paul S.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »
hi Paul!

you can compare your signature with the one in this thread:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2203.0.html

the vase in the thread is by Mikko Helander (couldn´t post a reply?) - see:
http://www.laatutavara.com/?page=tuote&id=4338&ryhma=1&aliryhma=1
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »
thanks very much for this useful info. Dirk  -  and I will check when I get home this evening.        Cheers            Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »
oh gawd!!  -  dirk - it looks nothing like the example shown on the link you provided.   No loop on the 'l' or 'd', and not nearly so 'joined up'.   Is it a fake??    And yet oddly enough there is no reason to suspect foul play  -  it was only three quid at the boot sale  -  and the seller had not a clue of what he was parting with.   Cud the signature be on behalf of Helander?         Help please!           cheers            Paul S.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 06:54:15 PM »
my uneducated guess would be, that your vase is factory signed whilst
the other one is possibly a genuine Helander signature. this surely wouldn´t
make the signature on your vase a fake.
interesting thread on this topic:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,875.0.html
i´m sorry i can´t provide further information, hopefully someone of the more
knowledgable people will drop in.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »
I agree dirk that probably not signed by the man himself  -  not what you wud call a real signature.      To me, the vase remains interesting and worth having, but since attribution and provenance are everything these days, I can well imagine that the purists wud shake their heads and leave well alone.    Obviously, I will know for the future, and again my thanks for your guidance.      cheers            Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:22:10 PM »
There were three Helander brothers! Yours could be one of the others or a perfectly fine factory signature

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
thanks for the support Christine.    Must admit I certainly didn't know that there were three brothers, and you cud well be right that my piece is from one of the others.
Am inclined to think it is a factory signature, but I like the piece anyway.    I like the purple colour  -  the shape makes me think of a large kind of bulb vase  -  perhaps for an Amaryllis!!.    However, this is a useful part of the learning curve, and I will be more aware of differences in signatures next time.     Who knows??  maybe mine is the rarer sort    cheers        Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand