No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: deciphering Orrefors decanter  (Read 6419 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
deciphering Orrefors decanter
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »
something else from the Easter break, and although I have looked in Ivo's book, I'm not a lot wiser  -  does the C stands for Selbing??
Possibly a standard production plain decanter, which of course may have been given the cricketers at a later date.             As it may not be possible to read all of the incised wording, it reads....."Zaglo C101  U.K. NO. 148.....and along the opposite edge of the base....."Orrefors  A(?) 4324(?)"       About 24 cms. tall.
Any advice will be appreciated.      (At least I'm starting to post some of these questions on the correct board  -  got the Humppila wrong tho.)   cheers    Paul S.

Offline cjf

• Members
Re: deciphering Orrefors decanter
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the "Zaglo" mark is the marking of an external engraver (or possibly some kind of inventory mark). In any case, it is not from Orrefors. Being at work, I do not have access to my catalogues, but the "A" indicates that this one was designed by Olle Alberius, and I would believe some time in the second half of the 1970s.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:17:08 PM »
my sincere thanks to both of you  -  and I will continue looking along the lines of Ivo's suggestion.    It is perhaps slightly older than I had at first supposed, but it is a nice qualtity item, and soon I shall fill it with Whisky!!      cheers             Paul S.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:31:02 PM »
Slightly off topic: Don't leave whisky too long in lead crystal decanters as the lead leaches out and contaminates the alcohol.  Best to drink it quickly, then there's not a problem.   >:D :D

I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »
even more 'slightly off topic'................hello Max, thanks for the comment.    Might this be the origin of the expression, 'this'll put lead in you pencil'  -  mind you I'm not too good at writing anyway!      Jokes aside, subsequent to my ealier comment about filling with Scotch, I had thought I wud probably not actually use the Orrefors at all.    Reason being that I recently bought another nice but ordinary whiskey decanter from a charity shop  -  and in the course of stuffing the stopper back in one day, I must have been a little p....d  -  missed the hole, and whacked the side of the neck of the body - thus sending a shard of glass from the stopper into the liquid.    Thereafter wondering at what stage i wud pour a drink and swallow a sliver of lead crystal.      It hasn't happened yet.            cheers            Paul S.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »
Thereafter wondering at what stage i wud pour a drink and swallow a sliver of lead crystal.      It hasn't happened yet.            cheers            Paul S.

I did that with a glass casserole dish.  Put the lid on too hard and broke a bit of glass off.  My son ate the casserole (told him not to!) but he reckons he didn't find any glass...but we never found the bit that broke off.   :huh: :-X

I am not a man

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:33 PM »
I have heard that the problem of lead leaching out of the glass is limited, only really affecting the glass molecules closest in contact with the liquid. My knowledge of chemistry and physics is limited but I was under the impression that several 'fills' of a decanter with booze would reduce contamination to minimal levels. I do not know how long you would have to leave the whiskey in there or how much you must throw away without drinking.

Sacrilege! So Max is spot on.

John.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:05:37 AM »
I have heard that the problem of lead leaching out of the glass is limited, only really affecting the glass molecules closest in contact with the liquid. My knowledge of chemistry and physics is limited but I was under the impression that several 'fills' of a decanter with booze would reduce contamination to minimal levels. I do not know how long you would have to leave the whiskey in there or how much you must throw away without drinking.

Sacrilege! So Max is spot on.

John.

it has always been my understanding that the drink will kill you long before the lead does.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand