No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness P/W  (Read 5707 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Caithness P/W
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 03:48:27 PM »
As with several Caithness weights, "Mooncrystal" was issued in two styles. The first was in 1985 and was produced in "many colour variations". The later style was in 1997 and as at 2004 was an active unlimited edition. Della was nearly correct in the number of colours - the catalogue book states 6 (Black, Blue, Green, Hyacinth, Pink and Yellow).

Both the earlier and later ones were in Medium (62 mm) and Miniature (54 mm) sizes. [The mm sizes seem not to be given in the 2nd edition of the book, so the ones stated are from the 1st edition.]

From the photo of Paul's weight, I guess that it's a 1997 or later one. But the photos in the book are only b&w and it's not always easy to tell the difference in design styles - as is the case for this one, but the earlier one seems to have a bubble half way up with no higher swirly bits!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Caithness P/W
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »
:oops: Sorry about the amount of colours, I am just a very, very newbie at this, but 5 out of 6 wasn't too bad.
I am not sure which one mine will be, the earlier or later one, as I haven't got it yet and have only seen a photo from above.

I didn't pay anywhere near 15 pounds for mine, including delivery, so I am quite happy. :)

Still, I am a little confused :?  one says 1977 and one 1985, who is correct?
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Caithness P/W
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »
Tim's reply went up as I was preparing my own. I am pretty sure Tim's date was a typo - should be 1997. The Original Issue Price of the 1985 version was £9.95 / US $30.00
KevinH

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Caithness P/W
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 04:12:29 PM »
Ok, thank you Kev.  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Caithness P/W
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 11:09:51 AM »
My Mooncrystal weight came today, it is the green one, not blue, but I like it anyhow.

I am not actually sure how one measures a paperweight. If it is determined by height, then this one is a minature. If determined by width, then it is a medium.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Caithness P/W
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »
Convention is diameter for normal shaped weights and height for uprights, though some give every possible dimension and weight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand