No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Irridescent Silver Inlay/Overlay Vase  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Large Irridescent Silver Inlay/Overlay Vase
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:35:49 AM »
Hi, am requesting help/suggestions on this vase I picked up today. I'm leaning toward Bohemian, but may be off base. Its a bit larger than I have normally run across at 15" in height, bottom diameter is 6.5" while top diameter is 8". Weight is approx 4.5 lbs. Silver is very thick, maybe the thickest I've encountered in a long time & is honestly somewhat worn, but still decently intact. Dark green, irridescent. polished pontil 1 7/8" diameter, glass is significant thickness. Its a bit of a horse. I'm guessing early 1900's. Would appreciate any & all input. Thanks, Ken

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Large Irridescent Silver Inlay/Overlay Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 04:52:09 AM »
I am not sure of attribution, but the mouth of the piece, and also the style of overlay and the thickness of the silver tends to make me think not Bohemian. though to tell without handling it though.......... this is only a quick knee jerk reaction to the piece.... I could not really find anything quickly in my references with an open mouth like the piece has that was Bohemian....

Also seems to me that the Bohemian pieces I have seen with thick silver overlay have generally had English hallmarks....  Maybe English glass and silver??

I'll keep looking and see if I change my mind......

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
Hi Ken,

I have done some additional research for you and forwarded the image to a knowledgeable friend. The determination is that it is most likely the work Karl Goldberg, Haida. They primarily worked with blanks by other houses and applied decorations like the silver work on yours. I have been unable to determine of who made the blank. I guess it doesn't really matter.....   It is circa 1900.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »
Thanks Craig I appreciate this info very much. Unfortunately I have no idea what/who/whom Halda is...I assume its a company, but is it Bohemian, German, what? Thanks, Ken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:47:16 AM »
I have no idea what/who/whom Halda is...

Haida is the pre-1918 name for the town of NovĂ˝ Bor, Bohemia

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »
Thank you IVO for the information, appreciate it. I am not at all familar with the various geographic regions in europe so my lack of knowledge shows. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand