No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some New Buys - Riihimaki, Magnor, Jane Charles  (Read 8554 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Some New Buys - Riihimaki, Magnor, Jane Charles
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 02:57:27 AM »
Thank you so much Connie

Your post and the links given are excellent.

I see that the Boyd shoe is marked with a B for 1978, the site seems to suggest they marked year by letter. My piece has no mark.

The Kanawha piece is very much like my shoe, it is amberina and suggests no marking.

Your suggestion that 'Boyd's may have bought the mould from Kanawha when they closed' seems plausible - if my shoe is by Kanawha I wonder what date it might be - I am only a beginner with pressed / Carnival glass :?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 10:42:28 AM »
A short history of Kanawha Glass Company summarized from Popular 50s & 60s Glass, Color Along the River by Leslie Pina:

When Dunbar Glass Co. in Dunbar WV closed in 1953 some of the former workers joined together to form Kanawha Glass Specialities Co., named after the nearby Kanawha River.  In 1957, they changed the name to Kanawha Glass Company.  By 1960 they began production of colorful decorative glass including crackle glass (for which they are most noted).  

In 1969 Kanawha purchased Hamon Handcrafted Glass in Scott Depot, WV. Hamon crackle glass maintained its identity under Kanawha. Hamon made hand mould blown glass and Kanawha made pressed glass.

In the early 1970s Kanawha began making cased milk glass. My own comment:  It is often mistaken for Fenton glass hence my interest in Kanawha.  

Production continued until 1987 when Kanawha was sold to Raymond Dereume Glass Inc. in Punxsutawey, PA. The glassworks closed in  1989.

So from all that you piece, if it is Kanawha, dates from 1960 to 1989.  My guess would be from the 1960s when they were making the most colored pressed glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Connie

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand