No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: mark of embossed 'W' or 'M'  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: mark of embossed 'W' or 'M'
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
o.k. then here we go...........
you will notice that the 'letter mark' is different on each bowl......i.e. on the brown piece the central point is level with the outer points, but on the red piece the central point only makes it half way up the letter.    sorry the pics. are a bit iffy  -  Having just looked at a variety of type faces both serif and sans serif, there are a percentage of older font styles where this is actually the case..........that the centre point of the upper case 'M' does in fact only reach half way down the height of the character, whilst all points of the 'W' in all of those particular alphabets does reach full height.    Whether this might indicate that one mark is a 'W' and the other is an 'M' is a thought  -  but might just be coincidence.
specifications are:
Brown Bowl.........11.75 cms high..........19.5cms flat to flat across the top.   both botton and top rims are quite heavily worn.

Red Bowl.........8.5 cms. high .........24 cms. at the widest part.     top rim has feint 'notched' effect.

cheers      Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:47:33 PM »
Fascinating, I've a fair few Davidson pieces and have never noticed a mark like this on them - I'm going to re-check them all now in case I've overlooked it.

I wonder could it be that the marked ones were made for certain customers - perhaps big orders to be kept separate from other production?  Surely it would mean different moulds or mould parts for these pieces? How many different patterns are they seen in, does anyone know?

Edited to add: Chris has mentioned these in his 2002 Cloudglass Newsletter here too
http://www.cloudglass.com/NewsLetters/November2002.htm (added as a cross-reference)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 05:14:43 AM »
I would say (IMHO) the mark is probably not an M simply because the uprights are not vertical or near vertical, even though two different punches have obviously been used in the moulds.

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »
Hi Guys
I see this is still a mystery, not sure if it is still on the board but I raised this question in a topic will be a few years back about the W as I have a few pieces

Tony H

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 07:08:31 PM »
Hi Tony,
I remember that and didn't I also at that time link to this one of my collection with the M ? Contemporary US and VERY SMALL...  :-\
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/deckeldosen/02963.html
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »
For what it's worth, I've looked at the photographs of the two bowls, and note that there are slight differences between the form of the letter; I infer from this that the moulds which formed them were different. I agree with the suggestion that it is a W, not an M (and in any event, it's not the M of the Mosser glassware).

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 04:00:07 PM »
Thank you, malwodyn, this confirms my memory of Tony's thread years ago :)
Leaning very far out of the window now: how about Malaysia?
same as some French patterns copied in Taiwan bearing a T-mark within a circle? :-X
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »
I'm more inclined to think they were made by Davidson for a specific customer, but I could be well-wrong of course. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
Thinking out loud, would it be useful to compile a list of all known pieces with the W/M mark on them?

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
YES PLEASE, Anne! Splendid as always :D
Pamela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand