No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: mark of embossed 'W' or 'M'  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: mark of embossed 'W' or 'M'
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »
hello Pamela  - forgive my ignorance as a 'newcomer' - but what date (approx.) were these French pieces copied by the Taiwanese.     However, somehow I don't have the same feeling about the W's.    It wud seem that pieces with a W are datable (beyond reasonable doubt) to the late 30's - 40's.
I think Anne's idea of photographing all available pieces with a W is a good idea  - to build up a pictorial list of associated pieces -  but where do we store them??
I'm sure that if Chris has wracked his brain on this one, then the anwer is not going to come easily.   Might the letter stand for.........a place, a country, War, a designer,
I suppose the imagination might run riot with ideas.           cheers         Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
Might they have been made for Woolworths? We know they did commission glass, maybe these were for a slightly more upmarket range

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
Hi Paul, that's one of the things that the GlassGallery is for. I can add a specific album for them as a research project...

edited to add.... here be the album: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=748
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »
Hi,

Might they have been made for Woolworths? We know they did commission glass, maybe these were for a slightly more upmarket range

Turnbulls were the main supplier for Woolworth in the UK. When Woolworth cancelled their order they went bust.

I don't think those marked with a W were made for a particular customer. Davidson's output was not to restricted to particular customers, so it would not make financial sense to mark pieces for just one customer.

The W could indicate a particular market, or it may have had something to do with the war time restrictions. Pottery manufacturers had to mark their wares with a single letter (i think) to show thay had the right to make and sell. Off hand I cannot remember when this order came into effect. There may have been something similar for the glass industry

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum