No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White vase with floral decoration  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
White vase with floral decoration
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »
Something from this morning's outing  -  cased clear over white  -  and then given a matt finish (acid or sandblast??)  -  with gold edging on top rim.   Certainly look like transfers, and can just feel a very slight roughness with the finger.     A more or less flat bottom without a pontil mark.    Really quite attractive.   20.5 cms. high and 6.5 cms. at widest.  Believe seller said that this had belonged to her motherl, so cud be 60's or 70's.    Grateful if anyone recognises the item please, and thanks for looking.    cheers         Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: possible Chance vase.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »
Definitely not Chance. Quite common at boot sales, but no idea where from

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:56:23 PM »
thanks Christine  -  sorry for posting in the wrong place.     I had just finished entering an item deliberately under Scandinavian, and obviously did not 'back track' enough to get out of that area.      Some things are perhaps more regional than others  - I hadn't recalled seeing this before in the early mornings.  Perhaps someone else may recogise the piece.    cheers         Paul S.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:55:34 AM »
First one is a screened opal vase with a sticker that puts it down as Boussu, Belgium.
Second one is screened to a reasonable quality, suspected origin Germany.
Third one is shockingly course screened decor and seems to have an identical shape to yours; I have it marked down as German - but it might as well be Belgian or Chinese.
Number 4 is hand decorated, suspected maker Laeken crystal / Paul Heller - Belgium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
hello Ivo - and sincere thanks indeed for the research and effort.        Obviously, I appreciate your comments that your 'third' item looks much more like mine than the others you show (in shape of vase), although think that mine possibly has more curved sides.     However, the style of screen printed image on your 'coarse' one does have a sort of 'spontaneous and arty look, whereas mine is very reserved and lifeless, which make me think maybe they are not related.     Looking at the applied screens only, those on your second item look perhaps more like mine.       However, you have helped greatly by showing that almost certainly continental  -  and next time I shall ask the seller to provide 'provenance' in the way of a label.  ;)  thanks              Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand