No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: more Val St. Lambert Belgique pressed glass  (Read 8736 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
more Val St. Lambert Belgique pressed glass
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
I had waited for someone to comment on Anne's recent posting, but maybe not a subject that has a following here  -  anyway, here are a couple more pieces, both carring the wording in a similar style (placed on the outer part of the floor of the inside).
size of the amber piece is 22 cms. rim to rim.......10 cms. high........residue of 'mastic' on foot rim might indicate that at some time in its past it was joined to a plinth.
A sort of Roman or Greek looking style.
The flint piece looks as tho it shud be older   -  13.5 cms high................12.5 cms at the widest   -  certainly the mark is a lot sharper.......the foot is hollow.
Appears to have four mould seams.              Not sure what it might have been in its day............a sugar perhaps or very short pieces of celery :)

Neither piece carries any other marking whatsoever.

Maybe this time someone may comment, and thanks for looking.                  Paul S.

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: more Val St. Lambert Belgique pressed glass
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
hi Paul,
the bowl can be found on both of Pamela´s great sites:
Noémie picture
Noémie Luxval catalogue
here´s an ebay auction of a Noémie bowl with an applied metal top rim:
auction
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:22:21 AM »
Here's Anne EB's post http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25922.msg143321.html#msg143321

I know almost nothing about VSL, but I do have two "identical" little VSL plates, except one is marked and has a ground base, and the other is unmarked and has a rounded as moulded base. I take this to mean that the unmarked one is newer production, i.e., post-automation, although the design pays more than a passing nod to end of 19th C designs.

Neither Anne's or your sugar bowl look to be particularly 1930s designs, but I really don't know

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »
sincere thanks Dirk for the in depth info. on the centre piece bowl.    The assigned date of 1935 fits in with the style and shape.    do you think this particular piece was always produced with a metal rim??       I very much like the colour of the piece in your first attachment  -  almost the colour of pink Champagne!
As to the 'sugar', my thoughts were that the mini hob-nail style of outer finish, made me think of something late C19  -  although my piece also has a rounded foot edge (not ground like so many pieces that you wud not hesitate to say were older).    However, since I don't know when VSL started production (or anything else come to that), it wud be rash to comment positively.     Glass manufacturers are no exception when it comes to reproducing designs from earlier periods.          Paul S.     

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:09:19 PM »
Dome footed items are often seem to be the exception to the ground rim theory  ::) American pieces rarely seem to have them at all. I was really only showing you my pieces - same items but obviously different manufacturing periods

Metal rims were not often applied by the glass manufacturer, so probably not. It would have depended on the wholesaler or the retailer's preference. Some items were made in variants specially for the finishers to apply rims; others just had rims applied to the standard form, as this case i think.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
Dirk: thanks for attracting to my pages - very much appreciated  :kissy:

Paul: your sugar appears in VSL 1913th catalogue, planche (page) 15 - service HAMBOURG (   :mrgreen: !) shape # 26

Christine: your plate appears in VSL 1913th catalogue, planche 16 - service LUCRÈCE , I would say. The base of yours is much more decorated, but the catalogue does not show the exact design of the smaller plates - nice one, which is missing here  :'(

VSL 1913 and further are reprints - thus do not dare to upload them on glas-musterbuch.de
You find them regularly on eBay - cost a fortune  ::)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
 Thank you very much Pamela.  :kissy: They could catch a plane to Hamburg if you like, only bought them because they were marked and obviously made at different times

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »
Christine, YES of course, thank you! Should not be an zero/zero ticket with ryanair, but just regular. Mail me the details please.
Zero/Zero ticket made out today for Hamburg/Luebeck to Pisa/Florence: out monday 18th May, in monday 25th - tax and duty arise to 40 EUR - how much do they earn?  :rn: :-X
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
Christine - Dirk and especially Pamela  -  my thanks to you all for your research and help.    I had originally felt a twinge of pity for Anne that she had posted re VSL and not received any replies.   It is easy to overlook also the help from continental friends who make the effort to speak English, much appreciated, you are indeed a cunning lot of linguists.   Makes me feel that I am not putting enough back in the way of help to other people.    Anyway we have a good result, and I will also comment that I like the quality of the two pieces of VSL that I have, and I suppose that I feel a little vindicated in thinking originally that the Sugar did look older than the 30s.    However, I am not too sure of the gist of  the comment about downloading the earlier VSL catalogues??   sorry to be thick.      Many thanks    Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
Pamela means that she has had to buy digital copies of the VSl catalogues and therefore cannot upload them for free use to her friend's catalogue site. The catalogues there are ones they have personally scanned from originals

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand