No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candlestick... Holmegaard or Caithness?  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Candlestick... Holmegaard or Caithness?
« on: September 25, 2005, 08:52:35 PM »
The candlestick I bought recently off eBay as being Holmegaard and signed by Per Lutken... but when it arrived it just had a single squiggle on it which kind of looked like a Lutken monogram gone awry... Was just wondering if anyone recognised the signature before I complain to the seller about his overly-imaginative auction write-ups...

And the vase was just something I picked up at a carboot for 75p today purely because I liked it, but it seems to be listed on eBay and a glass shop site I found as "Riihimaen" - is this the case? I'm not overly concerned either way, but it's nice to know the source of your glass.

The fluidity of its shape suggests Scandinavian, but I'm frequently surprised by some of the pieces Caithness have produced in the past.

Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 05:39:45 PM »
There is a simalar vase to your amber vase in Judith Miller's "Collectable Price Guide 2005".

It is red and not the same shape but it does have the same circular looking thing in the middle.

It also says it is designed by Aimo Okkolin, 1970's and 9.25inches high.

I'm hoping that the book is right this time.  :roll:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 06:33:49 PM »
TigerChips  :)  

The red vase you're talking about isn't related to the amber one Pinkspoons showed, I think you knew that anyway.  :D   I'm beginning to think Peter could be right that this amber one is Polish, something to do with the thickness of the glass is wrong for Scandi pieces.  I have an identical vase in the shed in a rather fetching green colour, I'll try and put in on here tomorrow.  :D

Interestingly the Miller Collectables 2005 book shows two 'Chimney' vases apparently by Aimo Okkolin.  Nigel Benson shows an identical one in his book 50's & 60's Glass and says there's no conclusive evidence to identify the designer of this vase.
I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 07:03:47 PM »
Well, I wouldn't want to argue with a lady so I'm with you Max.  :)

I'm no expert as you know. I thought I'd mention it in case anybody else gets the same vase (like the one in the book) and then think's it's not Riihimaki.

(Not entirely true but never mind somebody might believe me)  :oops:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 07:04:19 PM »
Max,  
I wonder which design it is exactly that you refer as chimney vase.  I just did a search for Aimo Okkolin on eBay and found this:
link

This one has a signature by Aimo Okkolin which looks pretty authentic.  Is this the one you were referring to?   I have a shorter version of this vase and I never really believed the eBay listings that referred is being designed by AO.

TMaritta

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 07:55:47 PM »
Hi TMaritta

Thanks for that link...that's a really nice piece of glass.   :D

This is the vase I meant though:

http://tinypic.com/esixwn.jpg  On the right

Sorry for confusing you - it's entirely my fault!  'Chimney vase' is just what I call this particular piece - I'm not sure anyone else does!   :oops:  :lol:   I'm not sure this piece even has a proper name.

However, this is the vase in Millers Collectables 2005 and Nigel Bensons Book.  They seem to vary in height though....my one (pictured) is a tall one.
I am not a man

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »
Hi Max,

I have the shorter version of the 'chimney' vase which I have seen referred to as a 'rocket' vase in eBay listings.  Both names are probably equally accurate!  No idea of designer.

Cheers,
TMaritta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand