No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This probably isn't Murano but I have to ask.  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: This probably isn't Murano but I have to ask.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:56:22 PM »
Veneto is the region around Venice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veneto
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 12:34:54 AM »
I don't like to send people to active auctions, but there is an animal with a Toscany label on eBay (3220402620724). This is one of the examples of a Toscany glass label that says genuine Venetian glass. I looked more on Google and found some mention of Czech and American glass under Toscany. Perhaps the company contracts from different places.

I am familiar with Tuscany and Empoli. But I wondered if Toscany was something beyond Tuscan. Does anyone know anything about the company itself?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 05:31:07 AM »
Interesting example, Anita. I wonder. Ivo lists Toscany as a trade name for St George Crystal, which Google tells me is the only company making lead crystal in the USA. That's one avenue ruled out. The label goes back a bit. A little more googling turned up the obituary of "Harold Potchar, aged 77, in 2001, the founder of Toscany Imports," which he started  upon his return return from Europe after serving in the US Army in WWII. That makes sense to me, and struck a chord. I  went back to my West Virginia Museum of Glass reprint "Italian Import Glass of the 1950's" and they have a page reproducing a 1960 ad for Toscany Imports, 245 Fifth Avenue, New York selling Empoli glass.

BTW, I think two numbers got added inadvertently to the front of the reference for the eBay piece. It should be  220402620724.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
Thanks for the information and correction of the number, David. My cut and paste must have picked up some invisible numbers.  :) What you wrote about Toscany being an import company in NY makes sense. I had seen a lot of Toscany Empoli and Venetian glass in the USA. Most of the Venetian glass has been bowls that look a lot like Fratelli Toso pieces, but aren't documented as being theirs. I think you've solved the mystery. They probably imported mostly from Empoli, but also from Murano since there was probably a good market for the glass.

Import labels can certainly be confusing when we don't know that it is what they are.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand