No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This probably isn't Murano but I have to ask.  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
This probably isn't Murano but I have to ask.
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »
Ok so the only thing that makes me wonder if this is Murano is the Copper Aventurine.
And I know that lots of other Art Glass studios picked up on the Aventurine thing too so feel free to laugh in my face and move this to where it should go :P but....

Is this Murano?
What is it called? Glass Egg? Hand Cooler? Unfinished Paperweight? Mutant Marble? :P The possibilities are endless.

Please excuse if you see sideways pics, for some reason Photobucket is uploading my images without the rotation, but if I rotate them in PB then it rotates them later and they end up sideways... it's really werd.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: This probably isn't Murano but I have to ask.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »
Your object is called an egg or an Easter egg -- it has one end smaller than the other and no ground base. It looks a lot like some Venetian eggs I have had. I included a picture of a mottle turquoise one with a label. So, yes, it is probably Murano.  :thup: I don't know if anyone knows who might have made these eggs.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:54:38 PM »
Thats wonderful! And thank you for providing the picture as well.
I love it when an "It might be" pans out :D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »
Re the rotation of your images, after running into a similar problem I found an option in my photo browser (came shipped with camera) to either "rotate actual image" or "add rotational information to image". This option is available when downloading the images from the camera to the computer, I choose the rotate actual image option and it seems to work.
Apparently, if an image is rotated time after time there can be some degradation of the image but I have never noticed this happening and can not see it being much of an issue for most of us.

John.

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:41:21 AM »
Thank you, I'll have a looksee what I can find.

I usually rotate in Adobe Photoshop... maybe there's a random setting in there that somehow got changed.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:43:31 PM »
After I thought about this more, it would probably be more correct to refer to the eggs as Venetian glass. Some companies, e.g. Toscany, have "Genuine Venetian Glass" on their labels, even though they are not in Murano. Perhaps companies consider glass that is in the style of, or have the same chemistry of, Venetian glass fit into the category. Maybe one of the other members will know the why of the Venetian labels for glass made in other areas of Italy.

Added on -- You know, I really don't know what Toscany is. I have had a couple of Toscany, Made in Empoli, pieces, so I made an assumption that Toscany was an Empoli company. But I noticed there are Czech and American pieces sold as Toscany. Could Toscany be an import company, instead of a glass company? I have seen the label quite a lot, but have never questioned what it was. I checked online, but couldn't find an answer.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:45:05 PM »
Thank you for the clarification :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
Tuscany (Toscane) is a province of Italy; the capital is Florence (Firenze). Empoli is a town in Toscane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empoli with a large concentration of glass makers. In recent years most of these glass makers merged and moved out to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colle_Val_d%27Elsa  and othe places in the valley.

If it says Venetian glass you can be sure it is from Veneto province, not from Tuscany. If it says Made in Italy, it is probably Tuscan.

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
So, where is the Veneto Province? My Italian geography is pretty much nil *bounces off to google some more*

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »
very useful post, the Empoli clarification had me stumped till now    :hiclp:
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand