No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Amethyst Glass  (Read 2099 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Old Amethyst Glass
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:49:03 PM »
This amethyst coloured footed glass is 3 and 3/4 inches high and I am sure has some age. It has a concave pontil, a clea bell-like ring when tapped and appears ribbed when held up to the light.
There are no distinguishing marks that I can find.
Ronnie

http://tinypic.com/dxz9qv.jpg

Offline David555

• Members
Old Amethyst Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:36:58 PM »
It seems to have a hammered surface effect like with arts and crafts pewter, but that seems to be the photo, I can see the ribbed effect you are talking about after closer inspection - I have seen this effect on vessels c1890s to 1930s - but mostly art deco period

I would call this a 'Rummer' which is a type of drinking vessel often seen from Georgian and Victorian eras

As said I don't think it is from that period, sets would have been made during the arts and crafts period in the UK when old shapes were being reassessed

The ground pontil can mean little as so many companies used it, Stuart, Powell, Webb, Walsh Walsh - to name but a few

I do think it is English

Sorry can't be of more help - you could try http://www.whitefriars.com/index.php as they are really good with this period of British glass

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Old Amethyst Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 10:27:19 AM »
I put this on the 'Is It' wf.com board, and it was identified as Whitefriars.  Tragically, the Oxfam shop sold the jug and other glasses by accident, so they have just one glass sitting on the shelf now.   :roll:

Ref:  2163
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Old Amethyst Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 11:57:50 PM »
Tragic

Hate to have five when there should be six - W/F it is then - from your pic I would agree

:P  :twisted:  :P  Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand