No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase: Pentti Sarpaneva for Oy Kumela  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Vase: Pentti Sarpaneva for Oy Kumela
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »
Spotted this at today's Art Deco Fair at the Midland Hotel Morecambe (what a fab day! :hiclp:)

Signed on the base Pentti Sarpaneva Oy Kumela.  Kumela was started in 1937, was sold to Humpilla in 1976 and went bankrupt in 1985.

Pentti Sarpaneva (1925-1978) was brother to Timo and father of Stepan, the watchmaker. Pentti was a jeweller as well as designing glass. This vase has a decorative metal collar round the top rim. Stands about 210mm high (8ΒΌ") and is around 75mm (3") square. Fabulous design reminiscent of the Troika pottery patterns, and came in a range of colours not just the caramel to clear shown here. Many of his glass pieces seem to include metalwork as well, although some webshops show this vase without its collar - presumably the collar has been lost from those.

Two questions:  can anyone put a name to the pattern or range please, and pin the date down for me please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Vase: Pentti Sarpaneva for Oy Kumela
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:17:40 AM »
What was that doing at an 'Art Deco' fair  :huh:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:46:30 AM »
Fire & Sea says that style was designed in 1970 - can't find a name for it though.

It does add that the patinated lace silver band is from Finnish jewellery designer Turun Hopea.  The hallmark shown in the book includes R7 for 1970.

...later versions don't have the metal band, have a more rounded base and no signature.

I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
Pip, that was me being lazy - the full title was Art Deco, Art Nouveau, Arts & Crafts, and 20th Century Fair - but that was a bit of a mouthful!  :24:

Max, thank you that's really useful to know.  :kissy:  I'd assumed that as Pentti was a jeweller he had done the metalwork as well. Just proves that you should never assume, eh?  :-[ 1970 seems to fit stylistically well with this.  :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand