No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sapphire blue bubble vase, who made it?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Sapphire blue bubble vase, who made it?
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:05:47 AM »
Hi,

I bought the blue bubble vase and bowl, a two other Whitefriars pieces, from the same source a bit ago, as all Whitefriars. But it has been said that the vase may not be.

The blue is the same as the Hogan bowl, but the bubbles in ten columns of eight graduated size, from very tiny at the base to large at the rim. The base also has eight lobes, but the usual ground pontil.  

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z4h1rm.jpg

The picture shows both together to show the colour similarity

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z4h2x5.jpg

The base.

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z4h4de.jpg

View from the top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Starling13

• Members
Re: Sapphire blue bubble vase
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
Hi I also bought a vase similar to yours and was told it was whitefriars. They look like they were made by the same maker. If you find any info out I would be really grateful if you could let me know. Kind regards Linda

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
Hi all.  We've been mulling one like this over on whitefriars.com.( a different colour with a lid) It's very interesting.  The colour of this one is spot on Sapphire Blue, but there's something about it which doesn't say Whitefriars to me.  Bubbles do not look like the same shape and formation as my William Wilson stuff, (and I have a lot of it) and there are 8 quite "pointy" lobes on the base.  Certainly can't find anything like it in the catalogues.  Has anyone else seen this vase anywhere?  IS IT W/F ?  Is it something else.  

This Sapphire one was originally on e-bay with a pattern number, which was not the right number for the pattern, (can't remember which one now) which was what brought it to my attention originally.  I now very much need to know what this is as it is driving me crazy!!!LOL  Emmi

PS To Barbara and Linda - I hope we get to the bottom of this...if this turns out to be Whitefriars, I'll eat my Banjo vase!!! Don't make me do this, please!

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 12:45:53 PM »
Hi Emmi,

I know what you mean, the blooming thing keeps looking at me very time I walk through the lounge, and I swear its laughing :shock:

Its a lovely heavyish piece for its size, maybe a trial piece which failed to go into full production made in different colours which may account for the lilac one? I don't know,but I have amended the listing to show that it may not be Whitefriars.

This is one time you wish the items could talk, and in what accent or language, imagine the stories they could tell.

Barbara

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 06:17:29 PM »
Hopefully, the other lady on www.whitefriars.com 'Is it' will post her vase under your posting Barbara (I'm Gina on WF.com...long story!).

I hope you don't mind me asking to post her mauve vase with your posting, I thought it would make sense to keep them together!   :wink:  :D
I am not a man

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 06:33:37 PM »
That's a good suggestion Max...hope she does.  I am dancing up and down with frustration here, SURELY someone else has a piece like this and knows who made it.  The REALLY frustrating thing for me is that I have seen that "pointy" looking base on something else, and damned if I can recall when and where and what it was.  Grrrrrr! Emmi

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Sapphire blue bubble vase, who made it?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:55 PM »
Pics have vanished from Tinypic - Barbara do you still have copies please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand