No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: i.d. on uranium vase lettering.  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
i.d. on uranium vase lettering.
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »
when new this must have been quite an exquisite piece - and glows like a trooper under the u.v. light.    Unfortunately, much of the gold has worn away, well I suppose it would after maybe a hundred years or more.   Has a definite continental look - makes me think Bohemian.  23 cms. tall and 8 cms. at the widest.    Inside is as smooth and shiny as the proverbial  -- but the exterior (apart from the base) appears acid etched, and the gold pattern seems familar but I don't know from where.  However, main reason for the post is that I am mystified by the gold lettering/number on the base.    The old upper case 'D' we can see, but what is the next character  -  is it a figure 4??                Thanks for looking, and grateful for any replies.     cheers            Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: i.d. on uranium vase lettering.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
hi Paul,
this semi-opaque uranium glass is named "chrysoprase" after the mineral. the colour was very popular in the 1840's. producers of "chrysoprase"glass were e.g. Harrach in Novı Svet / Bohemia and Schachtenbach-Hütte / Bavaria.
possibly one of the lucky owners of a copy of "bohemian glass" will be able to give some more detailed information.

edit:
forgot about the letter... i'd say A if it's a monogram.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:54:56 PM »
The inventor of Chrysoprase should not be omitted either - Baccarat! Is there a missing stopper? To me the monogram is DH...

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »
Ivo, i was thinking about this kind of handwriting with the lower loop missing / worn off:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
thanks very much to both Dirk and Ivo for yur replies.    Of course I shud have taken a pictue of the neck opening  -  but can assure you that the neck is not a 'stopper' type of opening  -  in fact it is almost a sort of small bulb vase type of opening.   Dirk has mentioned the Bohemian glass book, of which I have a copy, so I will go and now look for some ideas.     Might it be a possibility that during the C19, more afluent families cud have aforded to have their glassware gilded with a family monogram or initials??     your thoughs are much appreciated   thanks           Paul S.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
just looking for something else and came across this - the next letter on the base is I believe an A.
Probably the gilder/decorator of the vase?

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand