No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rough vs. Polished Bases  (Read 2608 times)

Offline interiorforms

• Members
  • Hello fellow glass lovers the world over!
Rough vs. Polished Bases
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
I know most Murano glass bases are polished on the foot, while others have a rough, broken-off pontil mark. What can one tell about a piece if it has a rough, or semi-rough, pontil mark? I apologize if this has been previously addressed! -Kimberly

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Rough vs. Polished Bases
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:58:07 PM »
depends on the piece. Often it means "made in Poland"or "made in China".  In all cases it means "the manufacturer did not think this piece was worth finishing properly".

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »
I think we would need pictures of the base and the item to make a more accurate assessment

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »
I believe some Murano pieces didn't have finished pontils, some Salviati fazzolletto, for example. I also seem to remember that some early Venini had a very specific type of pontil mark that could be be felt, but I'm less sure of that. I'll check my reference in the morning.

I wouldn't rule out a piece piece being Murano only because of the pontil not being finished, but it would lead me to doing much more research on the piece. If you have a piece that fits into this category, it would be much easier to provide guidance if a picture were provided. A specific context tends to lead to a more conclusive answer.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline interiorforms

• Members

Offline interiorforms

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »
My mistake... the second photo in my last post should be this: (although that bird too has a rough pontil)

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr236/interiorforms/birdbase07.jpg

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »
In general the thick glass is polished on the base. The thin glass (goblets, light blown glassworks...) not.
Obviously there are also inexpensive glassworks left unpolished to save time and money.
Sometimes the base is not polished to remove the pontil, but just the make the piece more stable.
Anyway no fixed rules about it...

www.artofvenice.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:11:15 PM »
Since angels seem to be be fearing to tread here, I'll jump in to offer an opinion. They both seem like good quality Murano. I can see why the pontil would be left rough, as shown in the photograph. That is, it would be hard to polish and not much would be gained. I wouldn't be surprised if the birds were by one (or two) of the better known furnaces, Barbini or Seguso, but I would stop short of offering a positive attribution. There's still a little bit of angel left in me.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand