No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Commemorative glassware  (Read 2369 times)

Offline bfraley

• Members
Commemorative glassware
« on: September 27, 2005, 07:57:06 AM »
Has anyone come across the following, I have a glass tumber, engraved with one side head of Bonnie Prince Charlie, and motto and on the other side 2 roses and 2 thistles.  Have no idea of date but think it might be victorian.  Why were these made?  Bonnie Prince Charlie did not win any decsisive battles etc, any suggestions??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

Commemorative glassware
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 08:46:30 AM »
You might have a Jacobite glass, some of which date to the Jacobite Rebellions in the early 1700's. If the image is "Bonnie Prince Charlie" "The Young Pretender" (rather than his father who was responsible for the First Uprising in 1715,) then this relates to the Second Jacobite Rebellion of 1745.

Please post an image, as that might help a more experienced person than I, to date it accurately. You should be aware that originals are scarce, and there are many later copies.

Regards,
Le Casson

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

Commemorative glassware
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 09:14:47 AM »
Thanks for that info, I have seen glasses that you refer to and the ones that I have seen have all been wine glasses (Amen glasses).  I suspect that this one is Victorian, but I was interested in why it was produced.  I even went to the V&A to see if there was anything similar.  I will post a photo within the next week.  Thanks

Offline roget123

• Author
  • Members
Commemorative glassware
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 08:22:34 PM »
greetings

I recommend you to get or read "The Jacobites and their Drinking Glasses" by Geoffrey B Seddon if you can. This is one of the latest books on the subject  and the author explodes many of the myths about the jacobites and their glass.  

One thing is that although the Jacobite revolutions took place in the 18th C, even today there are many Jacobite clubs and societies in the UK and many other Countries worldwide.  So your thoughts that your glass may be Victorian is quite OK as it could be commissioned for an anniversary (hundered years for example) from one of the important Jacobite events.

Pictures would be a great help.
Geoff Timberlake
Geoff Timberlake
Glass Anorak !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline roget123

• Author
  • Members
Commemorative glassware
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 08:23:30 PM »
greetings

I recommend you to get or read "The Jacobites and their Drinking Glasses" by Geoffrey B Seddon if you can. This is one of the latest books on the subject  and the author explodes many of the myths about the jacobites and their glass.  

One thing is that although the Jacobite revolutions took place in the 18th C, even today there are many Jacobite clubs and societies in the UK and many other Countries worldwide.  So your thoughts that your glass may be Victorian is quite OK as it could be commissioned for an anniversary (hundered years for example) from one of the important Jacobite events.

Pictures would be a great help.
Geoff Timberlake
Geoff Timberlake
Glass Anorak !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand