No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: opalescent machine threaded fan vases.  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
opalescent machine threaded fan vases.
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »
picked these up from the charity shop lunch time today  -  I think they are the real thing, but not sure how far into the C20 this sort of style went.    Intriguing, because contrary to what I though initially, it is only the threading that is opalescent, not the whole of the upper body.   Pontils are snapped very cleanly, and there is a considerable 'wear ring' to the underside of the foot.  Can't see anything that matches in the few books I have, but understand names like Walsh, Stevens & Williams, and Richardsons cud be pontential candidates.  There's no response under u.v.     15cms. tall, and about 12.5 cms. wide at the mouth.   The scallops are very C19 of course  -  just that I thought couldn't be my luck to find a pair - undamaged - after all these years.     Oh, and by the way, they were a quid each.      thanks for looking, and obviously I'm hoping for confirmation that they are real.    cheers          Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Re: opalescent machine threaded fan vases.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »
To me the crimping on the scalloped edges says either Italian or modern Chinese.  But what do I know...?  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:06:29 AM »
Look like the real thing, whatever that might exactly be, IMHO: late 19C , early 20C

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
my thanks to both of you for replies.   First I was depressed, then I recovered.      But seriously, I sense the hoards of descending critics the moment I say that wear indicates age, and I am getting better at avoiding subjective assumptions  -  just that with this pair the wear is similar to other pieces which I know to be older.   In fact you can see the 'wear ring' quite well in the pic. that looks down on the foot.     I did think originally of a possible Italian connection - say mid C20  -  did Murano produce this sort of item?    When you mention the 'crimping' Chris, are you suggesting it looks of a lesser quality than late C19 English?      Must admit I don't look at modern Chinese  -  are they producing opalescent glass?  -  and wud they go to all the hassle of machine threading with the opalenscent onto a flint body.    But I still come back to the wear, which looks quite genuine and old.   
Have just today discovered that the V. & A. offer what they call an 'Opinions Service'  -   a few hours on certain Tuesdays when Joe Public can take in their prized unknown possessions for ID.   Since I like going occasionally anyway, might try one of these on them, just to see.    cheers           Paul S.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
That's a good idea, Paul.

My comment was because I know of a stemmed drinking glass with a patterned foot like the scallops on your vases that had a Goti de Fornasa label. 

Also I have this, which I'm led to believe by a Murano collector is most likely Chinese

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »
Paul, there are many Venetian mid-20th Century vases (1930s-1950s) that have a style similar to yours. My first impulse, based on the style, was that they looked Venetian. But the Venetians are not famous for machine threading, so I thought perhaps they were Venetian-style English or American vases. To me, they appear to be very good vases, so definitely not throw-aways! I think you are correct in saying that they are vintage.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »
thanks Anita  -  much appreciate your experienced thoughts.   What do you think of breaking one up, and doing a 'Carbon 14 test' >:D.     cheers     Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
Have just today discovered that the V. & A. offer what they call an 'Opinions Service'  -   a few hours on certain Tuesdays when Joe Public can take in their prized unknown possessions for ID.   Since I like going occasionally anyway, might try one of these on them, just to see.    cheers           Paul S.

Broadfield House Glass Museum do a similar thing by appointment, Paul, if you find yourself heading their way. More details HERE  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 02:07:46 PM »
Appreciate the info. Anne  -  which I didn't know  - and really must try and get there some time in the summer.     thanks          Paul S.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »
thanks Anita  -  much appreciate your experienced thoughts.   What do you think of breaking one up, and doing a 'Carbon 14 test' >:D.     cheers     Paul S.

C-14 dating is way out of date. The error was huge. Now we can age your vase without breaking it... but it has to be at least some hundreds of years old.

I have a feeling your vases are more worthy than most. Please spare their lives!  :o
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand