No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Per Lutken bowl with extra engraved name  (Read 2597 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Holmegaard Per Lutken bowl with extra engraved name
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »
I bought this large bowl yesterday cheaply as it is not in good condition and have only just noticed an extra engraved name opposite the usual Holmegaard and Per Lutken monogram. It looks to read Axel Sonnergaard. Is this likely to be the engraved name of someone associated with Holmegaard or someone who owned the bowl, or ...?

I googled the name but found very little.

Thanks, John.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Per Lutken bowl with extra engraved name
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:33:56 PM »
Not a name I recognise nor can find any record of - so it's probably a paranoid past owner. Although quite odd on such a common low-end piece.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »
The paranoid previous owner would have been my hunch but us glass collectors should not throw stones....  after all, what is a little psychosis between friends?

John (some of the time).

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:08:51 AM »
It is a very unusual name in Denmark; there are only 6 Sonnergaards registered in the phonebook. My guess is that it is an anglicised version of Søndergaard, pronounced  Sœnnergor, approximately  ;) The ø corresponds to French "œ", the first d is "stum" and the second is silent.

Perhaps Axel Søndergaard emigrated, changed his name and wanted to make sure the bowl could be traced to him?

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:11:27 AM »
OOps, stum and silent are the same. The first one is silent but it also " breaks" the sound, what on earth is that called?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand