No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 pieces - Scandi/Murano/Czech ???  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
3 pieces - Scandi/Murano/Czech ???
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:52:52 PM »
Any ideas on these would be welcomed :P

Mutant, monster bowl which has a tantalisingly short white thread around part of the edge.  White underneath.  Unusual colour if Murano.  No markings.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc228.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc349.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc307.jpg

Clear cased (pewter?) freeform bowl with stretched - appendage - very 50s in style.  Possibly a Holmegaard piece?  Again, no markings.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc139.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc138.jpg

A pair of hexagonal geometric vases - 1¼kg each.  Base shown on one. Possibly Czech or French.  Seller seemed to think they could be French, and I'm 50-50.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc263.jpg

Thank you :lol:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:11:34 PM »
Hi Anne
 #1 Great find - Very interesting color
The white stripe is just a lack of covering by the colored layer above.
Looks good quality : what's your opinion ? Heavy ?
Conjecture: Flygsfors - poss considered a second ? (Swedish glasshouses had notably high quality control)
Other possibilities : Whitefriars, Murano ...... er

#2 This shape is often associated with Flygsfors but as theres no signature and no white edge stripe so maybe Paul Kedelv when at Reijmyre.

#3 I was thinking French before I read your description but I don't know why.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:43:38 PM »
I like the orange platter Anne...would look great as a single piece on a table - retro baby!   :wink:  :D

To me, it feels Italian, it doesn't feel Scandi to me, although Aseda did a vibrant orange (from memory...) but I don't recall the white underneath.

On the second item, I think Paul (Chuggy) has one similar with a tail like that, although his is mauve I think.  Might be worth comparing notes with him.  :?
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:21:20 PM »
#2 - Very nice indeed, but I don't think Holmegaard. It looks very mid-50's to mid-60's, and I'm not sure Holmegaard were doing much in the way of cased glass around then - and if they were, it would almost certainly be signed.

But I'm always glad to be wrong!  :)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 06:56:21 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"

#2 This shape is often associated with Flygsfors but as theres no signature and no white edge stripe so maybe Paul Kedelv when at Reijmyre.

Peter - thanks for the suggestion .  I googled Paul Kedelv and came up with this unsigned one attributed to him
http://www.retro-antiques.com/scandinavian/item8.shtml
Looks identical, except mine is slightly shorter at 28cm. Yay :!:  8)  

Nic - for some reason the colour made me think of Holmegaard - can't think why really, as the only piece that I have (currently in son's care :roll: ) is a signed Per Lutkin bowl in an icy blue.  I seem to recall having seen other pieces in this grey/pewter colour attributed to H.G. in a book at some time or other.

#1 - the mutant monster, isn't nicknamed that for nothing Peter.  It weighs 2.2kg and is a quality piece of glass.  I thought of Flygsfors, but understood from other threads, that all of their pieces were marked.  However, if it is a second (i.e. the short white strip), then may be it wouldn't be marked as a result of it not passing quality control(?)

Max - you are right, it is soooo retro with its psychedelic colour 8)   I think my table would collapse with the weight though :lol:

I struggled back on Sunday with two other equally large and heavy bowls.  The front wheels on the car were almost airborne driving back from the carboot with them all in the boot. :lol:
Anne E.B

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 07:48:43 PM »
Quote from: "Anne E.B."
Nic - for some reason the colour made me think of Holmegaard - can't think why really, as the only piece that I have (currently in son's care :roll: ) is a signed Per Lutkin bowl in an icy blue.  I seem to recall having seen other pieces in this grey/pewter colour attributed to H.G. in a book at some time or other.

I can understand where you're coming from - Holmegaard did do an identical smoked colour with the same subtle hint of green.  :)

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 06:52:20 AM »
Peter is right with 2nd one it is Kedelv at Reijmyre, I had identical shape in aubergine and sold it to a Kedelv collector who confirmed it's origins.
Thanks for the wake up call Max, I do tend to miss things.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »
I spotted a Paul Kedelv bowl in smoke colourway at the Newark fair and recognised it instantly, so hurray for this thread. I snapped it up at £10...

...although it magically grew a small fleabite on the rim whilst en-route home. As often seems to happen with bargains. :evil:

Still, I bought it to keep rather than to resell, so it doesn't matter too much.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 08:12:11 PM »
Nice one Nic :P   I paid £8 for mine at a charity shop in Falmouth - which I thought was rather expensive!!!!  I always like change from a fiver :lol: :wink:  
I can live with fleabites, knocks and bruises if I like something enough.  But even with a fleabite, yours will be worth a whole lot more I'm sure - and it does date back to the late 50s after all.  They seem to fetch a decent price.   I bet it looks good with your Holmegaard pieces :P
Anne E.B

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 08:33:57 PM »
It's gone into storage for the time being... I'm creating a new super-study with super-display space in the attic to house all my pretty clutter and books.

I'm doing it all myself, so the bowl might see the light of day again around this time next year.  :lol:

But I've found that even really slight damage can drastically affect the value of Scandinavian glass. Its collectors are usually very picky indeed (I'm not quite so bad... usually - although I probably wouldn't have parted with £10 if I'd spotted the damage at the time).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand