No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Four mystery pressed glass bowls.  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Four mystery pressed glass bowls.
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:15:04 PM »
I've trawled through quite a few links/sites and haven't been able to identify these four dishes/bowls :shock: , so any help would be much appreciated as usual.

#1. Red bowl which looks stunning in a well lit area.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/gmb008.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/gmb009.jpg

#2. Heavy green bowl.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/czech011.jpg
Black light. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/czech2002.jpg

#3. Blue bowl shaped like a canoe.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/pressedglassbowl003.jpg

#4. Clear glass dish/bowl with wavy edge.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/pressedglassbowl002.jpg

It would be really nice if #4 turned out to have actually been made in Manchester.  I've only just discovered four glass makers that operated in Manchester (Salford and Ancoats areas) in the late 19th and early 20th century, i.e. Birtles Tate, James Derbyshire & Sons, Percival Vickers and Thomas Kidd & Co.  So to have a piece made locally would be terrific.   So here's hoping :lol:

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 09:38:22 PM »
1 and 3 are both Sowerby (sorry, I know, wrong side of the Pennines).

The red one is their #2411 - known to Carnival collectors as Hobstar and Cut Triangles.

The blue "canoe" is Sowerby's #2480 - named by Carnival collectors as English Hobstar.

I am sure I've seen the vaseline bowl (2) pattern before but I can't name it without checking through archives etc. The final piece (4) is not one I am familiar with.

Sorry they're not Manchester Glass, Anne! (Incidentally, if you haven't seen the piece on my website about Josef Rindskopf then you really should. It has some fascinating Manchester information in it. I won't say any more or it will spoil the surprise!)
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"

Sorry they're not Manchester Glass, Anne! (Incidentally, if you haven't seen the piece on my website about Josef Rindskopf then you really should. It has some fascinating Manchester information in it. I won't say any more or it will spoil the surprise!)

Wow!  Fascinating reading Glen :P (in fact I'm going to go back and read it again -  its so interesting) and thank you so much for identifying two of the pieces. :lol:

Regards Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »
The second one I'm fairly sure is Sowerby.

I just happened to find this post while I was looking for something else.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 07:36:10 PM »
You are right Tigger - later ID'd  as Sowerby flanged bowl no.2596 which came with a separate handle (Thistlewood & Thistlewood Vol.1 Victoria to George V):P
Anne E.B

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
Anne,
link on four does not appear to be working.
Derbyshires were a Quaker family, and it might be worth asking at Manchester Mount Street Meeting House, or Frandley Preparative Meeting, near Stretton, (my last place of Quaker membership/attendance) what info they have, on the Derbyshires (some still attend on Sundays), or Cheshire CC archives at Chester, which might also be very useful.
regards,
Marcus

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 09:38:55 PM »
I think I've read this post before but I didn't know what it was then. Five years later he finds the answer :oops:

Did you know, I saw an identical one on a car boot and they were selling it for £10 (not sure what they're worth though). Strangely enough, there was another differently shaped Sowerby uranium piece on another stall close by which was £2. It didn't take me too long to figure out which one I wanted.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 09:46:18 PM »
.....I must confess to being stunned - and want to say a very big thank you all  - a very big one - for helping me rescue something that would eventually have got broken owing to heavy use. I've got a bowl here - exactly the same pattern, same rim, same foot shape as the number two vessel but the bowl is more rounded, has taller sides which don't have the same straight steep gradient as the one pictured above. I utterly love it and use it for all sorts of things - especially when people come over to eat and all the shades of green glass and pottery comes out. But I'm a dreadful cook - it's my daughter that has it out for everyday salads, cake mixes, trifles, puddings as a container for heavy-going punch - good grief - it's just ocurred to me she might even have put it in the microwave for one of those sticky toffeeish sorts of things. Oh my word........Pinky

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »
Uranium in a microwave? :shock:

It's probably okay though I'm not sure if all kinds of glass are microwavable. I know shelled eggs aren't 8)

Sounds daft but, If a piece of glass has a high lead content, will it blow up in the microwave? I know how dangerous metal can be in a microwave.

I must be getting tired, that sounds absolutely daft.  :oops:

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 11:23:14 PM »
..........I'm thinking the same thing now, Tigerchips - would this sort of glass go in the microwave? I haven't kept my eyes on my daughter all the time to know if she did indeed put it in there to quick bake a tofee banoffee whatever it is. Might be worth-a-nervous-while to experiment -  put in the microwave for a minute or two to see what happens. Pinky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand