No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: James Powell glass in the Midland Hotel, Morecambe  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
James Powell glass in the Midland Hotel, Morecambe
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »
Whilst reading the book, The Midland Hotel, Morecambe's White Hope by Barry Guise and Pam Brook*, I came across a reference to the Seahorse mosaic in the entrance lounge as having been designed by Marion Dorn and created from tesserae and glass mosaic made by James Powell Ltd, in "silver and undersea colours".

The Seahorse is famously associated with this Art Deco hotel, having been incorporated into the original architectural designs by Oliver Hill and brought to being by sculptor Eric Gill. In 1932/33 Marion was asked to create a Seahorse design for the centre of the lounge floor, the design later being used on the hotel's crockery and glassware etc. (No clue as to who made the glassware yet - but if anyone comes across some with a seahorse and/or Midland Hotel Morecambe on it, please let me know!)

I'm assuming that James Powell Ltd is the Whitefriars Glassworks, so figured some of the Whitefriars' enthusiasts would be interested to know about the mosaic if they don't already.

There's a nice view of it on this page (3rd picture from the top): http://www.seasidehistory.co.uk/20s_30s_hotels.html

* Book details: ISBN 978 1 874181-42-2, published by Palatine Books, 2007
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand